What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I mention “new” because if you have an odd sense of humor or writing style, it is not yet established, and your comments will be taken at face value.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
"Odd" by whose standards?

Perhaps this would be a good time to mention that I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of high-functioning autism and which sometimes results in my coming off as insensitive or, to use your word, odd. I was once told by a fellow member of another chat group that I was "one of the strangest people on this planet." Asperger's often robs people of the ability to distinguish between appropriate versus inappropriate social behaviors. It also impedes the ability to empathize with others (to "put yourself in his place" etc.). So if it seems like I am being rude, please know that it is unintentional. I have nothing but respect for you, Mr. Harris, and the outstanding work you've done.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well excuse me, but David would not have made up a story like that. I'm glad you had better experiences with Mr. Randall -- perhaps you were luckier than David in that you didn't have to work with him.

While your tale is anecdotal, one person's "experience" should not be taken as definitive. You were not there, you received the story second hand. I've heard countless "horror" stories about so called difficult actors from second hand sources as in "I know a guy who worked with XYZ and she was a real bitch!". I dismiss such stories myself. I'd heard stories for several years about how "difficult" Kiefer Sutherland was to work with. I worked for one day on the series 24 and he couldn't have been nicer. In fact, he went out of his way to be nice to me. I did see him lose him temper on the set just once but that was because the person his anger was directed at was behaving in a totally unprofessional manner. But no doubt when that person relates that story to others, Sutherland was just being plain mean while withholding the fact that he was behaving unprofessionally. My point being that your friend related his side of the story (quite possibly leaving something out). Mr. Randall might have seen the situation quite differently.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
While your tale is anecdotal, one person's "experience" should not be taken as definitive. You were not there, you received the story second hand. I've heard countless "horror" stories about so called difficult actors from second hand sources as in "I know a guy who worked with XYZ and she was a real bitch!". I dismiss such stories myself. I'd heard stories for several years about how "difficult" Kiefer Sutherland was to work with. I worked for one day on the series 24 and he couldn't have been nicer. In fact, he went out of his way to be nice to me. I did see him lose him temper on the set just once but that was because the person his anger was directed at was behaving in a totally unprofessional manner. But no doubt when that person relates that story to others, Sutherland was just being plain mean while withholding the fact that he was behaving unprofessionally. My point being that your friend related his side of the story (quite possibly leaving something out). Mr. Randall might have seen the situation quite differently.

Very good point, Thomas.

I'm not clear how Tony Randall could have got someone fired. That kind of clout was the preserve of a few really big stars. Although, once or twice, he did have the leading role in a minor movie, Tony Randall was never a big star and normally played supporting roles.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well. here's MY take: I met Mr. Randall in person years ago outside "21" in NYC and he was a complete gentleman with a big smile on his face! As for Let's Make Love, I only watch to see the fabulous "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" number in the beginning of the film- THEN I change the channel, knowing it's all downhill from there! Yes, I actually sat through this film once and Marilyn deserved better from Fox!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to go too far off topic but I was a big fan of 24 and that is in line with what I frequently heard about Sutherland. He was prepared and professional in terms of his job and he quite reasonably wanted the same from everyone else. So if a person was doing their job, he was cool but if they weren't, they might want to watch out.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
Yes, Natasha was Marilyn's coach.

I never knew she had any other names. I don't agree with the idea of using a pseudonym.

--Fella Fitzgerald

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I agree with Charles in the previous post. After the sensational "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" opening, I usually change the channel as the movie is all downhill from there. Both Marilyn Monroe and director George Cukor deserved better material. And, except for the sexy angora sweater in that musical number, Monroe's wardrobe by the usually-reliable Dorothy Jeakins is surprisingly unattractive and unflattering. Monroe was so understandably displeased with it that she wisely hired Jean Louis to design her wardrobe for her next two pictures -- "The Misfits" and the uncompleted "Something's Got to Give" -- to memorable effect.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
To be fair to Dorothy Jeakins, Marilyn appears plumpish in Let's Make Love, and I suspect her weight was fluctuating much like Garland's did when she was at her lowest ebb dealing with her prescription drug addiction during her final couple of years at MGM. Jeakins probably had her hands full trying to alter the clothes to make Marilyn camera-ready.

And I don't mean to sound critical or unfeeling of Marilyn whom I am very fond of in her films. I played the soundtrack album to this film a lot when I was growing up.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
It was around this time that Marilyn was late for an interview with a female journalist who, annoyed at having been kept waiting, cattily remarked to Marilyn "Gained a little weight, haven't you, dearie?" to which Marilyn famously replied "My husband likes me plump."

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Matt, you're very gallant to come to the defense of costume designer Dorothy Jeakins, who, as you say, may have had her hands full in trying to keep an obviously plump Marilyn Monroe camera-ready, but I still think her wardrobe for the star in "Let's Make Love" is glaringly unattractive. Marilyn was also plump -- and pregnant! -- during the making of "Some Like it Hot", but Orry-Kelly designed incredibly sexy costumes for her to wear in that one and deservedly won an Oscar for his efforts.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]Stella Adler was a big part of the problem. [...]
Please, do tell...in what way was Stella Adler a big part of the problem.
You'll need to elaborate on this statement.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Wasnt Stella the voice coach (from hell.) whom Prem banned from the set of River of no Return, after many tantrumsz?
From where do you derive your information concerning Stella Adler?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I think that her coach then was Natasha Lytess(a psuedonym btw - her real name was Tala Forman and you can see her on an episode of WHATS MY LINE? under that name on youtube)
You are correct it was Natasha Lytess.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I think that her coach then was Natasha Lytess(a psuedonym btw - her real name was Tala Forman and you can see her on an episode of WHATS MY LINE? under that name on youtube)
Nice research philip*eric.
And to be clear, Stella Adler was an acting coach and director; not a vocal coach.
If any private training for an established star were to come from Stella Adler, it would be in very specific circumstances;
such as Burt Lancaster who enlisted her for his character development and preparations towards "Atlantic City".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks