nit_test_000004.jpg

CRI + Y

cri_test_000004.jpg

DT Print c. 1971

prt_test_000004.jpg

Last edited:

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Is the recently re-released 10 Commandments blu ray from the same master as the two previous blu ray releases?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is it possible to get an simple explanation of the comparisons?

One simple example, which took seven years to perfect...

Ten C

First image is raw, faded frame from OCN, no matte.

Second, same frame with color correction, now enabling additional chemical damage to be seen.

Third is cropped, with yellow dye layer from OCN dropped, which also removes top layer chemical damage. This leaves OCN with cyan and magenta dyes only. Now Y record from sep masters is added to the mix, for a restored image.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
One simple example, which took seven years to perfect...

Ten C

First image is raw, faded frame from OCN, no matte.

Second, same frame with color correction, now enabling additional chemical damage to be seen.

Third is cropped, with yellow dye layer from OCN dropped, which also removes top layer chemical damage. This leaves OCN with cyan and magenta dyes only. Now Y record from sep masters is added to the mix, for a restored image.
Ahh got it! Thank you!!

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I just got around to the supplements. The trailer seems to be in the original technicolor. Although it is partly out of register, it gives an indication of how spectacular this blu Ray could have looked had the elements been preserved.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Glad it's available again. But since the Criterion transfer is identical to my TT pressing (but lacking the commentary and isolated score) I'll pass.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Why didn't Criterion provide at least a commentary? The commentary on the Twilight Time is notorious. Darryl Hickman trashes the director and Gene Tierney
Why didn't Criterion provide at least a commentary? The commentary on the Twilight Time is notorious. Darryl Hickman trashes the director and Gene Tierney throughout and complains about his treatment during the lake scene.

Vincent Price had some nasty and absurd things to say about her as well. But what kept me from buying the Criterion BD edition was finding, via a borrowed library copy, that-like all Criterion releases in my experience (e.g. "Gilda")-zoom was disabled. This was even so with my Twilight Time BD issue, though all of my other TT BD titles have zoom enabled. But with a 1.37:1 aspect ratio the image looks especially stifling. Maybe it's just how my brain image processing works but I'd gladly accept a small bit of cropping to have a fuller looking image, via my Pioneer LX500's zoom control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks