Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris submitted a new blog post

A few words about...™ Leave Her to Heaven - in Blu-ray
heaven3-1600x900-c-default-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It does have a pretty cover. I wonder why Criterion and other labels don't have the music only track like Twilight Time.
Licencing issues. While we might assume that since they're getting the film from Fox and as such, the rights would be a holus bolus package, music only rights would be subject to the moral rights of the composer and therefore separately negotiated.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, what do you consider to be the best restorations of original Technicolor classics?

I’m not sure that I would reference them as restorations, but one could begin with GWTW, Oz, Caine Mutiny... Any number derived from original three-strip elements.

The term “restoration” comes into discussion, as the main functions, presuming the negs are intact, are toward placing the film back into post-production, inclusive of color.

There are some magnificent three-strip releases out there.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Seems an odd choice for Criterion since they can't provide a new transfer.

It's been OOP in the US, which is enough reason to get it back on disc. I missed the TT release, so I'll be picking this up for sure.

I have a few other of the "problem" 3-strip Fox films like Heaven Can Wait (Criterion) and The Gang's All Here (TT). Color is odd, but you get used to it and the quality of the films themselves outweigh the imperfections.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Why, the Beaver is saying this is the best yet in his opinion and based on a 2K transfer (I believe he used the word "new")
I'm not sure if the Beaver is to blame as according to the transfer info on Criterion's website about "Leave Her To Heaven":
"New 2K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox, the Academy Film Archive, and The Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray."

Since Mr Harris states it's the same master that was on the Twilight Time Blu from 2013 , both the words "new" & "restoration" are a bit puzzling.

Since I'm here and we're having this discussion, I'm glad Criterion is releasing this, as I watch the Twilight Times disc all the time, and sooner or later it's going freeze-up from scratches, so I'm happy knowing I can easily replace it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not sure if the Beaver is to blame as according to the transfer info on Criterion's website about "Leave Her To Heaven":
"New 2K digital restoration by Twentieth Century Fox, the Academy Film Archive, and The Film Foundation, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray."

Since Mr Harris states it's the same master that was on the Twilight Time Blu from 2013 , both the words "new" & "restoration" are a bit puzzling.

Since I'm here and we're having this discussion, I'm glad Criterion is releasing this, as I watch the Twilight Times disc all the time, and sooner or later it's going freeze-up from scratches, so I'm happy knowing I can easily replace it.

I believe that the info Criterion is offering is precisely what they’ve been given.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Seems an odd choice for Criterion since they can't provide a new transfer.
I think it’s a clear case of the path they’re taking now, Bruce. No risk, safe, nothing out there. much of their new releases already available in good to very good international label releases.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
DVDBeaver graphs the bitrate of the releases he reviews. Now these graphs are not particularly meaningful to me - the average bitrate figure that he also supplies is probably a good enough indicator of the compression severity.

However, in reading his review of Leave Her to Heaven, I noticed that the bitrate graphs for the Twilight Time edition and the Criterion are virtually identical.

So far as I know, this could come about if the exact same compression choices (be it human or software) were made throughout the encoding process against two different masters for the two editions; or alternatively, if not only the same master was used for both releases, but the same compression-encoding of that master.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Why didn't Criterion provide at least a commentary? The commentary on the Twilight Time is notorious. Darryl Hickman trashes the director and Gene Tierney throughout and complains about his treatment during the lake scene.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Ive noticed this quite a bit with restorations and new masters just being described as “new” with no clear definition of its age. The master that was created to make the “Vertigo” Blu-ray and theatrical DCP back in like 2012 is still called “new” when it shows in repertory here.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Ive noticed this quite a bit with restorations and new masters just being described as “new” with no clear definition of its age. The master that was created to make the “Vertigo” Blu-ray and theatrical DCP back in like 2012 is still called “new” when it shows in repertory here.
Yes; well, all of us like to get our hands on something "new" along with "fresh" sparking" "exquisite" "faultless" & "dazzling" ; all adjectives, btw, that are continually used by Criterion in ad copy to describe their HD masters. Hey, if they called them "slovenly" "half-assed" & "execrable" I'd probably still buy them, as I want to own those films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lest readers are confused, I answered a query at BD.com and am posting relevant images here.

Test frames - Black Swan

CRI - CC

r402_cri_000004.jpg

CRI - CC + Y

r402_CRI-+-Y.jpg

CRI - CC + Y + Silver

r402_CRI-+-Y-+-Silver.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks