What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ LBJ -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rob Reiner's LBJ is an interesting portrait of the background, as well as the period during which President Johnson (the second) found himself behind the desk in the oval office.

Regardless of one's politics, and on simple facts, Lyndon Johnson was a supreme politician, who tried to do right by the man he was forced to replace.

That, and the times, placed him in an untenable situation.

Woody Harrelson, in heavy makeup, does an impressive job in bringing the President to life, although (and this could just be my perception) his makeup seemed to fall on the cusp of Johnson, with just a tad of Rondo Hatton. Almost as if someone creating the perfect martini, had waved just a bit of Hatton over the drink in place of vermouth.

Interestingly, Mr. Harrelson is able to give the appearance of having the Johnson's height and bulk.

As a Blu-ray, the Sony release is perfect, as it should be, as it's all data.

For those unfamiliar with the basics of the Johnson administration, Mr. Reiner's film acts as a quality primer. For a more detailed discussion, there are many fine books on the subject, inclusive of an autobiography.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Woody Harrelson, in heavy makeup, does an impressive job in bringing the President to life, although (and this could just be my perception) his makeup seemed to fall on the cusp of Johnson, with just a tad of Rondo Hatton. Almost as if someone creating the perfect martini, had waved just a bit of Hatton over the drink in place of vermouth.
I never thought of Rondo while watching the movie but now that you mention it, I can see a bit of him in the makeup.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My choice to play Rondo Hatton in The Rondo Hatton Story has always been John Lurie...

John Lurie.jpg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I will check this out for sure and i also recommend seeing the PBS broadcast of The American Experience LBJ (1991) narrated by David McCullough which is a great documentary on his life and career.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks