What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Powell&Pressburger said:
Regarding the score CD, can it be confirmed that this is the original score as opposed to a re-recording? I've had my Box Set on Pre-Order since day 1!
It's not a rerecording.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray#post_3996848
Regarding the score CD, can it be confirmed that this is the original score as opposed to a re-recording? I've had my Box Set on Pre-Order since day 1!

I haven't listened to it yet, but it says that it is the original film score, conducted by Maurice Jarre and performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've had the deluxe set on order from day one. Can not wait for this to arrive! I haven't watched Lawrence since the first proper, RAH approved DVD came out.

The world needs more Mr. Crisp's looking after our heritage.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
If I'm understanding it correctly, the 4 discs are in a standard amaray blu-ray case? I'm hoping so because I'd like to put the booklet/frame/etc. away from prying hands and just keep the discs on my shelf.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
On my shelf is a 2003 Superbit DVD of Lawrence that was enthusiastically endorsed by someone named "Robert A. Harns." :D
It was very good for its time, but its replacement is long overdue. I look forward to this set!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by DSmith1984 /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray#post_3996945
If I'm understanding it correctly, the 4 discs are in a standard amaray blu-ray case? I'm hoping so because I'd like to put the booklet/frame/etc. away from prying hands and just keep the discs on my shelf.
Which is precisely the packaging design that I'd like to see other studios using.

RAH

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by DSmith1984 /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray#post_3996945

Correct. It will fit nicely on a shelf with the rest of your Blu-rays.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Harris said:
Which is precisely the packaging design that I'd like to see other studios using.
I'd like to see them get away from horizontally-outsized boxes, altogether, but yes, if they insist on using them, it's nice when, at the least, there's a regular case buried deep inside the treasure chest.
Myself, I would've happily paid $50 for all of the discs in a standard case or (especially) a Digibook. There's no way I'm buying that huge box, though, regardless of price and especially not at an $80 premium. It really pains me that I won't get all of the extras with my standard set, but I can get four fantastic Criterion releases for that price difference.

DSmith1984

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Robert Harris said:
RAH
It's the biggest reason I've never bought one of these UCE type sets from Warner, Disney, or whomever else releases them. I hate the fact that there's no way they can fit on a normal shelf. In all fairness as well, the only other movie besides Lawrence that I've considered buying one of these sets was Ben-Hur but thankfully, the UK release solved that problem for me. I don't even like digibooks but I'm a simple type. I'm much more concerned about the book than I am its cover. For Lawrence, I was willing to make an exception but based on the pictures, I figured the set would be done in the manner it is. It's nice to have it confirmed though.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
This is very possibly the last one of these big boxes that I will buy. I made an exception to an evolving rule that I made over a year ago.
It is actually my Christmas present from my wife.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I say to Sony a hearty "Hear, hear! Well-done!"
I say it because they're offering a choice: the big box for those who want all that extra stuff (not me) and the stripped down set for those who want the film and nothing else (that's me).
Again: Well done!

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
willyTass said:
a Nobel Prize must be invented for all involved
It's slightly off topic, but I'd love for this to happen. A Nobel prize for cinema would be fantastic.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have never seen 'Lawrence Of Arabia'. I love discovering classic films for the first time....especially on Blu-Ray.
This is a well assured "blind buy" for me. Thanks for your words RAH!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /t/324904/a-few-words-about-lawrence-of-arabia-in-blu-ray/30#post_3996997
I say to Sony a hearty "Hear, hear! Well-done!"
I say it because they're offering a choice: the big box for those who want all that extra stuff (not me) and the stripped down set for those who want the film and nothing else (that's me).
Again: Well done!

That's an excellent point. And the two-disc version is very reasonably priced.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw the movie at the 1989 70mm re-release at the McClurg Court cinema in Chicago and this was one giant screen that filled the whole building and not a multiplex. It was the best film experience i ever had in a theater and at the end of the film everybody got up and claped their hands for a few minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks