Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Mine's "on the way" but, as of today, has been 7 days since it apparently left the USPS regional facility in a city ~50 miles from my house. That one is the last stop before being sent to the local PO. Its current status is: "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." It was shipped on the 15th - a full 2 weeks ago - from Louisville, KY (a 6 hour drive from my house). From there, it went to Pittsburgh (why? That's the wrong way), then to Memphis, and then, supposedly, to me. That's normally a 3-5 day delivery. It was last "seen" in Memphis on the 23rd (when it got the above status). I'm beginning to think it's lost.
Man, I had my Imprint Blu-ray of "The War of the Worlds" sit in Detroit's USPS regional facility from June 6th to June 25th, before I received it. Detroit is only 75 miles away from my city.

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I also just had an item arrive 2 weeks after shipment with Priority Mail. I thought it was lost since it was last scanned on the 17. Then it showed up in LA on the 26 and was delivered on the 27.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I also just had an item arrive 2 weeks after shipment. I thought it was lost since it was last scanned on the 17. Then it showed up in LA on the 26 and was delivered on the 27.
I'm getting more than a few items like that especially if they're flowing through the USPS system.

• Agreed
Reactions: TravisR

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I might be in for a big disappointment. I just got my set yesterday and I have only watched Hog Wild and was disappointed with the soft picture. I thought it barely looked better than the DVD. If that's one of the better looking prints in the set then yikes!!
I'm actually quite shocked at your finding "Hog Wild (1930)" disappointingly soft Randy, as the video on that title looks absolutely fantastic to my eyes, and to just about everyone else who's viewed it on the new Blu-ray, including those who otherwise find the PQ on the new set disappointing!

For the record, the new print for "Hog Wild' was sourced from a silent print that had the full 1:33.1 aperture. Previous releases were sourced from prints with the part of the left side missing, due to having been duped from prints with the soundtrack covering that part of the image.

CHEERS! :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually quite shocked at your finding "Hog Wild (1930)" disappointingly soft Randy, as the video on that title looks absolutely fantastic to my eyes, and to just about everyone else who's viewed it on the new Blu-ray, including those who otherwise find the PQ on the new set disappointing!

For the record, the new print for "Hog Wild' was sourced from a silent print that had the full 1:33.1 aperture. Previous releases were sourced from prints with the part of the left side missing, due to having been duped from prints with the soundtrack covering that part of the image.

CHEERS! :)
Based on the marketing I was expecting something great. Its not bad by any means but just very average for Blu Ray and not a big upgrade like I was expecting. It looks like some type of artificial filtering or heavy DNR was applied. The Africa Screams restoration doesn't look like this and looks much better.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mine *finally* arrived yesterday! At this point it'll be a few days before I'm able to concentrate on it as my 3 youngest grandkids (4, 6, 9) are at my house visiting for a few days - and their 10yo cousin (my daughter's youngest) is staying too (she lives across the street from us) because she's not about to miss a change to play with them.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
Mine's "on the way" but, as of today, has been 7 days since it apparently left the USPS regional facility in a city ~50 miles from my house. That one is the last stop before being sent to the local PO. Its current status is: "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." It was shipped on the 15th - a full 2 weeks ago - from Louisville, KY (a 6 hour drive from my house). From there, it went to Pittsburgh (why? That's the wrong way), then to Memphis, and then, supposedly, to me. That's normally a 3-5 day delivery. It was last "seen" in Memphis on the 23rd (when it got the above status). I'm beginning to think it's lost.
I live in Concord, NH. There's a Regional Distribution Center in Nashua, NH. It seems like it's where packages go to die. When a package of mine gets there, it can be as much as five days before it leaves there. I can drive to Nashua and back to Concord in a little over an hour. I did a little poking around, and found a Reddit thread where people have been complaing about the Nashua RDC for at least a couple of years. One person mentioned mailing a package from one place in Massachusetts to another. It went from the origin point to Nashua in one hour, and then took days to get from Nashua to the destination.

I've also had several packages sent the wrong way. Packages coming from the UK would hit the ISC in NY, and then get sent to South Dakota or somewhere else in the Midwest. My package from Via Vision in Australia hit the ISC in LA, who sent it to the ISC in Miami(!) who then eventually sent it northward. All in all, it took 45 days to get to me from Australia: one-third of that transit time was across the Pacific, and two-thirds was within the US.

• Sad
Reactions: Tony Bensley

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
I believe the screen shots prove otherwise.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Based on the marketing I was expecting something great. Its not bad by any means but just very average for Blu Ray and not a big upgrade like I was expecting. It looks like some type of artificial filtering or heavy DNR was applied. The Africa Screams restoration doesn't look like this and looks much better.
Agreed. This sounded like something teetering on near perfection. Lots of aliasing, some edge effects, lots of dirt and scratches, and grain that, in some examples, has been homogenized to the point of DNR, though not quite - something very odd here. Still highly watchable, but a huge let down for me in general. The shorts that looked awful on prior DVD releases still look pretty bad here - with faded contrast to boot. Not what I was expecting or, in fact, what I thought I was paying for either. Regrets.

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
I'm wondering why these discussions are continuing. The argument seems to have been settled on page 16 when Anthony Clarke said: "Bart T pretty well confirms everything Robert Harris said. That should suffice in this debate .. until someone finally bites the bullet and gives us the UCLA restorations as they should be seen!"

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I don't have the set yet, I do plan to get it as there is stuff on it that's absolutely essential. But it doesn't seem to be a big priority given the issues with the transfers, or what was done to them after the fact. I'll wait until I can get a real good deal on it.

Did someone say the DVD version actually looks better (or not as bad) as the Blu-ray version (given the DVNR or whatever it is)? That might save me a few bucks if that's the case.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els