What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ladies Should Listen -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'd been attempting to track the Grant persona, as in when the actor known as Cary Grant, actually took on the Grant persona.

HTF member, Dan Cooper opined that he thought it was Wedding Present, a 1936 Paramount, released as a part of Kino's three film set.

Finally got around to viewing Ladies Should Listen, and I’m seeing it, almost in place. Now I’ll get around to Wedding Present.

It's an interesting little (62 minute) comedy, directed by Frank Tuttle (Roman Scandals, Hell on Frisco Bay).

There is either a problem with the element, which has virtually no apparent gray scale, or the transfer or color, as finalized on the Blu-ray.

Basically, it appears to be a bad dupe, while still retaining a reasonable amount grain structure. Odd.

I recommending this disc based upon the Grant research, which is quite interesting aside from the film itself, and not rating pass / fail, as a special case.

Image – 2.5

Audio – 3.5

Pass / Fail - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - ??

RAH

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The title of the thread and what is written inside don't seem to match.

Is this a review of Ladies Should Listen or Wedding Present?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I recall the version on DVD being similarly underwhelming.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
It was not my view that ladies should listen was the start of the Cary Grant persona. I have not even watched that film in this collection It was Wedding present and i have now watched that movie in the kino collection and Big Brown Eyes. Two very good films with wedding present still being favored but was surprised on how much i enjoyed Big Brown Eyes and how much of the Cary Grant character was already developed in that film.

After rewatching Wedding Present on the kino blu ray, i will now state that the Cary grant persona had fully arrived in that film in my view and i dont see any difference with him in that movie and the aweful truth, His girl Friday ect.

I was very pleased with both wedding Present and Big Brown Eyes his final 2 films for Paramount and believe Kino Lorbor did a fantastic job with the transfers to blu ray. I will have to watch Ladies should listen next. I did see it many years ago but cant recall much about it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It was not my view that ladies should listen was the start of the Cary Grant persona. I have not even watched that film in this collection It was Wedding present and i have now watched that movie in the kino collection and Big Brown Eyes. Two very good films with wedding present still being favored but was surprised on how much i enjoyed Big Brown Eyes and how much of the Cary Grant character was already developed in that film.

After rewatching Wedding Present on the kino blu ray, i will now state that the Cary grant persona had fully arrived in that film in my view and i dont see any difference with him in that movie and the aweful truth, His girl Friday ect.

I was very pleased with both wedding Present and Big Brown Eyes his final 2 films for Paramount and believe Kino Lorbor did a fantastic job with the transfers to blu ray. I will have to watch Ladies should listen next. I did see it many years ago but cant recall much about it.

I’m mixing metaphors, or something nearly as problematic. Be interested to hear your take on LSL.

By the way, these are all new titles for me, so Kino’s releases are greatly appreciated. These are films that I never thought we would see on Blu.

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Thanks for your heads up on ladies should listen. I will have to downgrade my expectations for picture quality compared to the other two films. Looking foward to your 4k views of vertigo and rear window as i should have that new collection by thursday!

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Chronological is a great way to go; be it for the entire works of an author, composer, filmmaker or actor. No doubt, such an undertaking requires quite a commitment but, always, always proves to be a most satisfactory journey.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for your heads up on ladies should listen. I will have to downgrade my expectations for picture quality compared to the other two films. Looking foward to your 4k views of vertigo and rear window as i should have that new collection by thursday!
Both should be fine. Vertigo may actually be too highly resolved in some shots, but we shall see.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between Ladies Should Listen and Wedding Present, six films which might be checked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks