What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My mother was born in Timmons, but I've never been there. It's 500 miles further north than the Toronto area where I live now. Although we live in Canada, we usually spend most of our vacations in the US.
We are like New Yorkers who never visit the Statue of Liberty!
Sorry! I did not mean to hijack the La La Land thread! I'll shut up now for a bit!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Listening to the commentary I can't believe they were going to cut the opening number and contemplated it a few times. It sets the tone for the film and I can't imagine it without it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My initial film grade for this film was 3.0 out of 5.0. Today, my grade is up to 4.0 with a chance that I'll give it a higher grade once I watch it again with the film commentary. It's a fine film in which my appreciation of it might grow with additional viewings. I hope to get into the bonus material over the next week or so.

I'll be curious to hear your continued comments, Robert, as you plow through the bonus material.

I've watched a number of them and find them quite enlightening (and fun). Be care, though, with the two song demos sung by Chazelle and Hurwitz! :laugh: (You'll see what I mean!)

Peg and I started to listen to the commentary track tonight...but while there were the occasional points of interest--especially at the beginning--Chazelle and Hurwitz got a bit too chummy and started talking about "inside baseball" stuff (acquaintances, their college days, etc.) that didn't really apply to what was going on onscreen. About an hour in we both decided we'd had enough. We'll finish it...but it was easy to walk away at the time. Maybe it'll get better.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Anyone else still watching regular old 1080p BDs on a regular, many years old BD player, like me? If so, is the disc taking forever to load? I thought something was wrong with my disc because only a blank screen was showing but, it actually took the disc about 5 minutes to load. I haven't experienced that long of a load time since the very first Samsung BD player was released back during the format wars. Just wondering if I'm alone. My BD player is a Panasonic DMP BDT500 (oh, it loads much, much faster on my PS4 but, still slightly slower then other BDs).
I didn't time it but it takes about as long to load for me as a new Disney blu-ray - I'm sure it's a BD-Live issue. It looked for an update on my Sony BDP-X58 and that's not likely to happen ...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I loaded the standard Blu-ray in my Panasonic UB900 tonight. It took about 45-60 seconds before I got to trailers. A fair bit slower than the average standard Blu-ray on this player. The 4K disc loads significantly faster.

FWIW, the 4K version is slightly sharper and slightly more colorful. The difference was easily seen, but not major. Our TV isn't HDR so we aren't getting the full benefit of the format. We'll get a new TV in 2-3 years.

Mark

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
My farthest north friend was born and bred in South Porcupine, Timmons. Tons of friends in Toronto, Gatineau and all points south.

Love Canada!

When I was young I thought that all Canadians spoke French. The nun teachers, my parents and all their relatives talked French. Boy was I wrong!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
When I was young I thought that all Canadians spoke French. The nun teachers, my parents and all their relatives talked French. Boy was I wrong!

This seems to be a common misconception because Quebec (the French speaking province) is the closest province to the New England states, and New York City). Don't forget that during the American revolution about 1/3 of the population of the 13 colonies fled north to Ontario. People love to trace their ancestry here to "The United Empire Loyalists".

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
... Shot on film, and finished as a 2k DI, in the early CinemaScope aspect ratio of 2.55:1...

Haven't seen this logo in long time on newer films.

cinemascope_la_la_land_blu-ray.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those that don't know, "The Robe" was the first movie that went into production using CinemaScope. It was directed by Henry Koster, the grandfather of HTF Reviewer Kevin Koster. Other notable films directed by Mr. Koster are the following"

Harvey
No Highway in the Sky
The Bishop's Wife
A Man Called Peter
The Singing Nun

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
For those that don't know, "The Robe" was the first movie that went into production using CinemaScope....

I could be wrong but I don't think the CinemaScope logo was used in The Robe. It just didn't fit with the music that was played over the opening credits. Probably was used for How to Marry a Millionaire, which was completed before The Robe, but released after.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Very exciting day! We're showing 'Passengers' and 'La La Land' in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater! Of our 20 guests, I think only one couple have seen 'La La Land' and none of them have seen 'Passengers'. Will our guests applaud at the end of each film? Time will tell.

Mark

Duke23

Agent
Real Name
Brad
Could somebody verify and explain what I am seeing on my copy of the Blu-ray?Before I share, I had opted to compare with another copy first as I didn't want to needlessly exchange it. I saw the same thing on the different copy.

It is a few minutes before the Epilogue where Gosling is signing papers for his club. When he leaves his piano and walks to the bar to sign, you can see like digital artifacts or errors or something. Appears to affect all copies. What causes these kind of errors? A bad encode or what?

Duke23

Agent
Real Name
Brad
Should explain that this is more readily seen at night. The artifacting is seen in the shadows there primarily

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
BLESS you!

By the way, I bought the Target exclusive for the third disc which turns out to be a Q&A session with Gosling, Stone, and Chazelle. I can't imagine watching it more than once so if there's a member who feels this is something they'd like to have, they're welcome to it.
After a few more repeated viewings, you just might change your mind on that one, too.:D

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
After a few more repeated viewings, you just might change your mind on that one, too.:D

Allen Hollis has already informed me that it's going home with him after he visits Boston/P-Town at the end of this month!!

Last edited:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
REAL late to this party. My wife saw it with friends when it came out and loved it (except the ending).

I watched my BD today and was blown away. Technically a thing of beauty and creatively as well. Still thinking about it..hours later.

Ranks near the top in the last 5 years for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Better late (to the party) than never, Alex. :D

My wife and I love La La Land. It has become an absolute favorite (starting to challenge That thing You Do!). We have already watched it numerous times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks