Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My least favorite film of 2016. Awful music "City of Stars" , clichéd script, bad singing, and even worse dancing. And I love musicals.
Totally forgettable.
Different strokes for different folks.
Won't be buying this.
As soon as I saw Mr. Harris's glowing review (it's my fave film of 2016 too), I thought "How long before the naysayers show up?". Of course, we fans are terribly upset that you won't be buying this! We're devastated in fact. But thanks for telling us :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
My favorite film of 2016 too! I preordered the 4K version during Target's bit B2G1 sale. Can't wait for it to get here (two more weeks!!).

I don't think it is a coincidence that I chose last week to upgrade our Blu-ray player to a 4K model and our A/V receiver to a 4K compatible model. We've had a 75" 4K TV since late 2015. Now we've got the whole 4K enchilada set up in time for the release of LLL on 4K Blu! :)

Mark
Which player and receiver did you purchase?

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched this on a recent flight and was in the "liked, but not loved" group. I'll probably pick up the blu at a future sale sometime and watch it again on a bigger screen.
I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy it much more on big screen without the severe limitations of watching it on a plane.

Reactions: DavidJ

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Fixed it for you:D

Sorry but no need to change my post . You are so wrong.
It's awful. Rips off "Umbrellas...", 'A Star is Born", 'New York, New York" , "Singing in the Rain"etc etc etc.
Yet can't even compare to them.
The standards have fallen so low these days for what passes as quality.
I just recently watched "It's Always Fair Weather", "The Boy Friend" and "Silk Stockings"- all recenty released on Blu-ray and considered "B' musicals in their day. These are all far superior to this derivative drek.
Ok all you Los Angeles folk must love it- but no thanks.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
As soon as I saw Mr. Harris's glowing review (it's my fave film of 2016 too), I thought "How long before the naysayers show up?". Of course, we fans are terribly upset that you won't be buying this! We're devastated in fact. But thanks for telling us :)
I'm so happy for you- that you love the score , the leads on-pitch singing and their incredible dancing.
Enjoy!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry but no need to change my post . You are so wrong.
It's awful. Rips off "Umbrellas...", 'A Star is Born", 'New York, New York" , "Singing in the Rain"etc etc etc.
Yet can't even compare to them.
The standards have fallen so low these days for what passes as quality.
I just recently watched "It's Always Fair Weather", "The Boy Friend" and "Silk Stockings"- all recenty released on Blu-ray and considered "B' musicals in their day. These are all far superior to this derivative drek.
Ok all you Los Angeles folk must love it- but no thanks.
It's all very much in the eye (and ear) of the beholder.

While I find Umbrellas a pretty, and interesting film, I cannot abide the continuous talk-singing of dialogue.

In LLL, the characters are never set forth as anything but moderately talented folks, trying to make it in a rough world, as their paths collide and move on.

For me, personally, the film has an enormous underpinning of technical bravura. The major numbers aren't constructed via editorial devices, but rather are planned, and carried out, with either minimal transparent cuts, or non at all.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hopefully he didn't have to use his plane's barf bag.:blink:
:laugh: No, but I did have to track one down for the lady sitting next to me, though it was not entertainment-related (and fortunately she didn't end up using it in the end).

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
It's all very much in the eye (and ear) of the beholder.

While I find Umbrellas a pretty, and interesting film, I cannot abide the continuous talk-singing of dialogue.

In LLL, the characters are never set forth as anything but moderately talented folks, trying to make it in a rough world, as their paths collide and move on.

For me, personally, the film has an enormous underpinning of technical bravura. The major numbers aren't constructed via editorial devices, but rather are planned, and carried out, with either minimal transparent cuts, or non at all.
In other words it also rips off Touch of Evil and Janet Jackson's When I think of You video.
Again no thanks.
A musical should have excellent singing and dancing or else fails which this does- no matter how technically brilliant it is (which technologically speaking these days could be achieved by an iPhone).

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
From a strictly tech perspective, please revisit the musical number half an hour in. You'll note that it's a single take, one source shadows. And then there's the audition. Please watch, and listen closely. Audio, music, lighting, camera movement.

Again, single take, where everything, inclusive of Ms Stone's performance must be absolutely perfect.

With all the craziness in our world today, this film makes me smile for two hours.

I recall a horror film, in which the main character had a constant rigored smile...

This is different.
"Mr. Sardonicus", I presume? Or maybe "Ha Ha Land"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen_J_H

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A musical should have excellent singing and dancing or else fails
Clearly you're "old school". Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy may have had perfect singing voices but their films are almost unwatchable today. We've moved beyond stiff and posturing actors with beautiful voices today. We want good actors who can bring an emotional depth to their songs. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone bring more emotional depth to City Of Stars and Audition than all of Nelson Eddy's bellowing and Kathryn Grayson's high pitched shrieking ever could. You didn't like La La Land, that's cool. But your NON STOP vitriol toward the film on this thread borders on an obsessive mania. We got you the first time. You've made your point. You're not going to change our minds.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Clearly you're "old school". Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy may have had perfect singing voices but their films are almost unwatchable today. We've moved beyond stiff and posturing actors with beautiful voices today. We want good actors who can bring an emotional depth to their songs. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone bring more emotional depth to City Of Stars and Audition than all of Nelson Eddy's bellowing and Kathryn Grayson's high pitched shrieking ever could. You didn't like La La Land, that's cool. But your NON STOP vitriol toward the film on this thread borders on an obsessive mania. We got you the first time. You've made your point. You're not going to change our minds.
Look at the classic musical "Brigadoon". Gene Kelly's singing is terrible, especially compared with various Broadway recordings of the same score. Once you are into the story and he starts to dance, who cares?

On the other hand, try watching a Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy musical all the way through, instead of mocking excerpts. What still is evident is that those two were really good together. If you listen to "Indian Love Song" on a recording it is just stupid, but if you watch them perform it, it is funny and charming and they go through a whole range of emotions. They don't just stand there and bellow.

Reactions: Will Krupp

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39