UHD Review A few words about...™ Kong Skull Island -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 14, 2017.

1. 3D Projectionist

3D Projectionist Stunt Coordinator

Lenny Dee
    Sometimes the best things are worth waiting for.. we'll probably spend this week's evenings watching King Kong thru to A*P*E 3d.

2. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    Lest we forget that Yahoo Serious
    [​IMG]

invented the bubbles in beer ... ;)

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've already viewed it in 3-D at the nearest IMAX theater to me so I viewed the 4K disc today. I had a better time watching it today than I did at the IMAX theater. I'll revisit the 3-D at home once I get threw a few other Ape movies first.:)

Tino likes this.
  4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Yankee Doodle Dandy, played over & over on Million Dollar Movie in 1960, is what made 8-year-old me fall in love with the movies. And when WASN'T it in black and white?

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    When Ted Turner colorized it turning Cagney's suit sky blue in the "Give My Regards to Broadway" number and his spinning was so fast that it got ahead of the colorization. Really, a terrible, terrible job of colorizing back then.

6. 46 Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, I certainly remember this program. Lived in Mt. Kisco, went to the Chappaqua schools, and spent many an hour watching and re-watching movies shown 16 times in a week on MDM. Memorized some of them beginning to end. Was exposed to a ton of classic RKO titles. We didn't know this as kids, but the movies were cut to fit into a 90-minute time slot with at least 10 minutes of commercials. Films like KONG and HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD and GUNGA DIN were cut, some severely, while SON OF KONG lost nothing except... the program simply lopped off the opening title/credits sequences of all their films and dove right into the movies. Only as an adult did I find, upon viewing Super 8mm prints and later VHS, that whole sub-plots had been dropped from this program for any film running more than roughly 78 minutes, sort of like extra-long Castle Films digest prints.

The "Gone With the Wind" music you refer to played over the opening, which featured the NYC skyline and a Kronos-size clapper board rising from behind the skyscrapers, on which were printed the movie's title, a few top stars, and a smattering of other other vital credits, in place of the film's intended main titles (another way to shorten the film for the time slot). Incidentally, you can type "Million Dollar Movie" into You Tube and find the opening of the program with Taras's Theme, but it's not the one I remember -- they seem only to have a newer opening with a montage of city highlights, and no clapper board.

For me, the program was a haven for a 9-14-year-old film freak. I remember being invited to a neighbor's house to view the first MDM color broadcast of RODAN on their expensive set. So, yes, films other than those from RKO turned up, some from Warner Bros...GODZILLA, WHITE HEAT, and many more, but it was the RKO fare I remember most fondly...THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR, CAT PEOPLE, THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, BOMBARDIER, SINBAD THE SAILOR, etc.

Remember how, at the tail-end of each broadcast, a narrator voiced-over the end credits, also written on the clapper board, by saying (and I paraphrase), "You have been watching [name of film]. If you missed any part of [name of film] or wish to see it again, the next showing will be at...."

Mondays-Fridays at 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays at 1:30, 3:00 and 4:30 p.m. One film a week, broadcast 16 times. You couldn't get any closer to having a movie theater in your home in those pre-video days.

My, my, how things have changed...

Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but those memories have to surface on occasion!

Tino likes this.
  7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    FWIW, I was able to order the 3D/4K/Steelbook from Best Buy this morning at 9am and have already received my pickup notice. So there is some stock available in-store.

8. sleroi

sleroi Stunt Coordinator

Gavin Kopp
    Yes, I have my copy reserved as well. Granted I waited a little late to pre order (1 week ahead of street), but it's still frustrating when all other skus of this title were available for pre order at that time.

Guess I'll put in my preorder for GotG vol. 2 now as well.

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    This was the featured film on my flight to Europe at the beginning of the month. So, my first (and at this point only) viewing of the film was on a small airplane viewing screen...not the best way to watch a film like this I know. The statement before the film ran was that the film had not been modified so I believe in terms of content I saw the whole picture. During my viewing of John Wick 2 I believe nudity and some of the violence had been cut for the airplane version...though I am not sure as I had never seen the film, it seemed oddly edited in places and those places seemed to be where nudity or perhaps the bloody result of being shot in the head or face may have been.

Skull Island, however, I guess had no nudity and nothing gruesome enough to cut.

So, I found this Kong picture to be mostly not very involving despite having some actors in it I generally like to watch. John C. Reilly being the best of the bunch in this one...with everybody else on cruise control basically saddled with poorly written cardboard cutout parts. This was a bit surprising because Dan Gilroy was one of the writers on this and he wrote the terrific Nightcrawler...but perhaps this was a paycheck kind of job as looking at his resume he does the "paycheck" films and hey, I don't hold that against anybody.

What really is disappointing to me with these big blockbuster kind of films is it seems to be mandatory these days to serve them up with a massive portion of dumb. I mean I can still watch the Fay Wray version all these years later and get wrapped up in it but now if you make a film like this it seems like it has to include a giant heap of stupid. Why this is...well...is beyond me. I guess we are supposed to find that funny. I don't really and so this picture was sort of DOA for me. I never cared about anybody in it. Kong is pretty good for a big CGI monkey and the other monsters are so so to poor.

It is mostly pretty to look at and that was decent but overall I would say skip this and watch Fay Wray and the big monkey if you want your Kong fix.

10. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    We enjoyed the movie but overall, it's one of those "popcorn flix" that for me is best seen once (although my 9 year old may want to see it again), I can't imagine going out an paying decent money to own it.

11. sleroi

sleroi Stunt Coordinator

Gavin Kopp
    To each their own I guess. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Action, mayhem, humor. Everything you need in a monster movie in spades, and it looked beautiful to boot.

Compare that to Jackson's overlong, indulgent snoozefest. And nothing in Skull Island was as stupid as overemphasizing how the young kid absolutely could not be trusted with a gun and then having him open fire in a crowded confined space and hitting the bugs with pinpoint accuracy while not injuring a single human.

12. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    One of the (several) eye rolling parts of the film for me was the waste of space photographer lady. She never puts down the stupid camera and runs around with it even when in dire straits, constantly snapping pics when there is no need. Drop the f'n camera and help your people as well as yourself! LOL :)

Tino likes this.
  13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I just watched the film again yesterday and the above comment about the photographer isn't exactly accurate except for her taking a lot of photos.

14. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    It seemed to me she was constantly carrying the thing around and snapping pics at the most inopportune moments. Guess not.

15. 55 Jul 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Nice!

In Canada, if you want both 4K and 3D, you have to buy the title twice, for twice the price (but you will have a spare copy of the 2D BD). You'd think BB here could have used the same steelbook release as in the U.S., to make it actually special beyond just the steel case (I don't care about cases by themselves, but if they have additional content...). Slap on the Target (2D BD/DVD) lenticular slip to protect the steelbook = nice package.

16. 56 Jul 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    To each his own indeed.

Jacksons film is better than KSI in every way. Effects, story, visuals character development and most of all the depiction of Kong. For every silly moment in Jacksons Kong there are twice that in SI. It was disappointing on every level. But I still purchased it and look forward to watching it again. I liked it but it is nowhere the towering achievement that Jacksons modern classic is.

But whatever. I know some like to dump on Jacksons film frequently and I like to come to its defense.

Let's agree to disagree. :)

17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    That's what I did today. Plus got an extra $1 off for picking it up in store.:thumbsup: They had about 20 combo copies left an hour after opening.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I had a fun time with Skull Island but I LOVE Jackson's King Kong.

Tino likes this.
  19. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Get a room guys. ;)

Tino and TravisR like this.
  20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

No offense to Tino but I'm in a committed relationship with the PJ version of King Kong.

Tino and dpippel like this.