What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Kismet -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, just listen to her cast recordings (Destry Rides Again is a favorite) and soundtrack albums and you'll know it's the same magnificent, belting-to-the-rafters voice.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Back in the 70's Ohio had the Kenley Players where John Kenley would present shows over the summer. I remember a production of Kismet with Dolores Gray reprising her role. Still sounded good altho her vibrato was getting a little wide. Hal Linden was starred and he was great.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
A friend of mine was working in theatre in London in the mid-'80's and met Dolores ('Dolly') Grey. She was performing in something and apparently "still had it". I recall hearing she was a fan of British-style Fish and Chips. I enjoy her performance in DESIGNING WOMAN with Gregory Peck, particularly in the restaurant scene. Her big number in IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER is a real highlight in that movie and was showcased in THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III. She just about steals that movie too. Great comedienne.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Here is a picture of Ms Gray in that production:
DoloresGrayFollies.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Matt Hough said:
Yes, just listen to her cast recordings (Destry Rides Again is a favorite) and soundtrack albums and you'll know it's the same magnificent, belting-to-the-rafters voice.
She didn't always belt it to the rafters. Her excellent album Warm Brandy consists of quiet, intimate interpretations of romantic songs. I wish she had made more recordings.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Warm Brandy" is a gem. I also love "Two on the Aisle" and "Destry", though I wish "Sherry!" had been recorded with its original cast. There was a *very* belated studio album done 10 years or so ago, with Carol Burnett in Gray's role (its a musical version of "The Man Who Came to Dinner"), but who could ever beat Gray?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My copy came today. I had originally planned to watch it tomorrow night, but as I had no reviewing activities tonight, I just couldn't wait to pop it in.

It's just as terrific as most everyone has said. The sound is full and lush, and the picture sparkles - one of the best of the Eastman Color Cinemascope transfers that I've seen. I actually liked the way it looked better than Hit the Deck.

But frankly, Warners has a perfect batting average with their Blu-ray releases through the Archives. They've all been splendid.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
this is slightly off-topic, but I thought I should share it.
A new production of 'The King and I' opened here in Melbourne last week. It was reviewed in this morning's 'Age' newspaper.
First paragraph reads:
'The King and I' is one of the classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals (the other is 'Kismet') that looks decidedly un-PC in what has, after all, been dubbed "The Asian Century".
Does this mean 'Kismet' should have been included in the new R & H box set? And why not 'Kiss Me Kate' too!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I don't know about decidedly un-PC, but it sure ain't authentic by any stretch of the imagination!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
And that reviewer must not have seen the commercial with John Williams sitting in the wing back chair saying, "Did you know Strangers in Paradise was actually Polevetsian Dance number 2 by Borodin?"

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
bigshot said:
And that reviewer must not have seen the commercial with John Williams sitting in the wing back chair saying, "Did you know Strangers in Paradise was actually Polevetsian Dance number 2 by Borodin?"
And has anyone ever said those words more beautifully? I could hear his voice as I read those words. Unforgettable.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Attributing KISMET to R&H is a giveaway that, like many others, that paper is not employing a knowledgable theatre critic.

It's an increasing trend as, after all, everyone is entitled to an opinion so why not use somebody - anybody - who happens to be available?

Here in London there was a theatre critic who was (mainly) knowledgable but lazy and he was once caught out reviewing a performance that had been cancelled. As he'd not been there he hadn't known.

It's not uncommon for production adverts to appear with Richard Rodgers' name mis-spelt.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
It's not uncommon but I find it rather lazy and ignorant. It doesn't take a lot of effort to get the right facts and spelling; after all, these people are "professionals".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks