What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ King Arthur: Legend of the Sword -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let's be honest.

Guy Richie is a quality filmmaker, but no one should have any expectations about finding a young Arthur romping through fields of flowers with his beloved Guenevere and Merlyn, the friendly mage, in tow.

This is going to down, dirty and violent.

And so it is.

Although not well reviewed, I found the film to be an interesting digital re-imagining of the Arthurian legend, that we're come to understand via literature and film through the centuries.

What I found most interesting, was the obvious connections between pre, pro, and post-production, that make this film a technical success. If those element don't sync, you're sunk.

Add to that the extraordinary Atmos mix, and you've two hours of, if not greatness, enjoyable entertainment.

Finished as a 2k DI, and layered with a nice patina of HDR, Warner's 4k release of the film is a technical winner.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just didn't have the heart to view this theatrically. I'll spring for this 4K/UHD release and will do so without hesitation based on your comments.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
I'm sure this film has its audience, but all the reviews I read made it sound pretty bad... not sure a good technical presentation would sway my interest. I enjoyed Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes movies enough (mainly because Robert Downey, Jr. is so watchable), but I don't understand Ritchie's need to have all his protagonists be street-wise, scruffy fistfighters.

But everyone buy this so WB will think there is a sudden surge of interest in movies based on Arthurian legend and fool them into releasing a UHD of Boorman's Excalibur (with original Bob Peak poster art, please). ;)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I rated the movie 1.5 out of 5 stars and I'm normally the easy going one... :) I thought the movie was disjointed not sure how to describe it. It is my worse movie of 2017... https://boxd.it/1byGs

However, maybe I owe it to myself to give it another look at some point.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like some Ritchie's work and his style in some settings. Just wasn't sure this was the setting for it. I'll probably rent it at some point.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Trailers turned me off. I love a well presented UHD, but passing due to the fairly universal panning the film got.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I rated the movie 1.5 out of 5 stars and I'm normally the easy going one... :) I thought the movie was disjointed not sure how to describe it. It is my worse movie of 2017... https://boxd.it/1byGs

However, maybe I owe it to myself to give it another look at some point.

Why torture yourself again?! It is bad enough you have seen it once, but with so much wonderful stuff you could watch why watch something you know is bad. Did you ever see Homer Simpson eat the spoiled food at Quicky-mart?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Why torture yourself again?! It is bad enough you have seen it once, but with so much wonderful stuff you could watch why watch something you know is bad. Did you ever see Homer Simpson eat the spoiled food at Quicky-mart?

Well sometimes a movie grows on me... Not sure if this one would but I'll use BvS, hated it in the theater. However, after a re-watch and directors cut I liked it ok. I do get your point though. Sometimes I will buy one because I want to give it another chance but it just sits there because I have better movies to watch. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks