A Few Words About A few words about...™ Key Largo -- in Blu-ray

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Huston's 1948 Key Largo, based upon the play by Maxwell Anderson, retains its roots, as it plays out, much like Hateful 8, in a single set.

While there is second unit footage of exteriors on the way to the Keys, and some material at the end at sea, virtually everything takes place at Lauren Bacall and Lionel Barrymore's embattled emporium. Look for material shot in the WB tank.

For those that might surmise that a basically stage-bound film of a stage play might get brutally boring, you'd be wrong.

Pit Humphrey Bogart against Edward G. Robinson and his goons, add in a hurricane, an Academy Award-winning performance by Claire Trevor, and a score by Max Steiner, and you've got one more of those films that's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Key Largo always had a slightly gritty look, and Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is no exception. Don't look for creamy textured black & white here. Contrast is up a bit, shadow detail down, but still gorgeous.

This is another film that needs to be in every serious collection.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm glad to be getting this one. Netflix (DVD disc rental site) hasn't had this available (extremely long wait!) for months. This, along with the other titles from The Archive, and others recently, means a lot of black and white nights ahead.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I'm sure I missed it, but what does the category "4k Up-rez" mean? Does it refer to how the BD looks on a 4K monitor? Thanks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This movie is so engrossing that it never occurred to me that nearly all of it takes place on one set.

Reactions: PMF

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
There are probably not many titles that could top this for me for being my personal pick for release of the year already! Hope to be proven wrong ( e.g. The Magnificent Ambersons ) but ...

Regards,

Reactions: PMF and telzall

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Nice review. I'm looking forward to picking this up.

However, I think this one deserves the "A Few Words About..." tag rather than the "Blu-Ray Review" tag.

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
The only thing that surprises me more than seeing only 9 Posts concerning "Key Largo", is that I'm somehow without my own copy; some 14 months after its release.
How on earth did that happen? So basic, so essential, so classic; one can sometimes make the mistake of believing that its in their BD library, already, that's how.

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The only thing that surprises me more than seeing only 9 Posts concerning "Key Largo", is that I'm somehow without my own copy; some 14 months after its release.
How on earth did that happen? So basic, so essential, so classic; one can sometimes make the mistake of believing that its in their BD library, already, that's how.
Same here. The other night I was channel-surfing on the TV and came upon KEY LARGO showing on the "Movies!" channel. It was all stretched and yucky-looking so I thought I'd pop in whatever version I had in my library. I wasn't sure if it was a DVD or Blu. Turns out it wasn't anything. Somehow, I never purchased this film (or gremlins stole it!).

A few clicks on Amazon and a few days later, I'm happy to own KEY LARGO on Blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I just looked this film up on my spreadsheet about my disc collection. I received this disc in March 2016, watched it on the same day . . . and I haven't watched it since! I'm overdue!

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The 4-disc Bogart & Bacall bluray set is a great way to obtain this - along with The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not, and Dark Passage :thumbsup:

Reactions: LeoA

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just finished watching the film and I noticed one small camera angle on Edward G. Robinson had a greenish cast to it. The next angle was on Lionel Barrymore and was back to pure black & white again.

One other odd thing that I'd never noticed before was the scene where bogie is throwing lines to Bacall on the dock and he's asked about the craft tied out in the ocean. We can see the Seminoles rowing in the distance and it looks like they're totally steady while virtually everything else is moving vertically with the rough ocean. It just looked odd to me, like it was a process shot that didn't quite match up. Has that always been that way?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bart T