1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jurassic World 3D -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    And all in lovely 2.00:1.

Steve W

2. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    No biggie. Just that I prefer my 3D popcorn movies to... POP! :3dglasses:

John Maher_289910 likes this.
  3. Number 6

Number 6 Stunt Coordinator

Steve Hahn
    "your trite complaints about the screenplay and characters remind me of people who complain about the quality of the pizza served at a Chinese food buffet."

Ouch! :)

Trite? Really? Zing! :D

Just for the record, I think if you go back and read my post, you'll see that I was trying to be respectful--it wasn't my cup of tea, and it clearly is for A LOT of other people. I was just surprised by this disparity.

Full disclosure: I used to work in Hollywood as a writer and film editor. I now spend my time as a writing and screenwriting instructor in university. I think that, probably, I just have some particular expectations of a screenplay that may be considered by some to be, perhaps, unreasonable.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I didn't mean to offend anyone with my take on the film. But it seems that I have. :3dglasses:

Vincent_P likes this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's your opinion and though, I disagree with it, you have the right to express it here. Film appreciation is subjective so people shouldn't be offended towards contrary points of view.

5. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I think that every time someone is reasonable on HTF, somewhere an online troll turns back into a mensch.

6. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

I saw this exact movie in 1993, only with another cast.

7. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    Yes, but you forgot to mention that there was at least one "radical" alteration made to the original narrative, this time, one of the characters got to ride a motorcycle!

But I'm definitely buying the Blu-ray, because I'm currently on a monster movie kick, (the Them BD arrived yesterday) and the Jurassic World BD will be a visual and sonic knock out in the ole home theater, and my granddaughter might even enjoy watching it. (unfortunately, my wife hates monster movies)

8. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    Loved this movie:

1.) The dinosaurs are no longer filmed in the rain or at night. This is the real deal- ALL shot in full blown sunlit daylight- AMAZING! and completely realistic - not rubbery anymore for the closeup paw shots.

2.) Derivative of Aliens which I truly love- not getting into the details but draw the parallels- all throughout the movie. As RAH said- a great summer popcorn flick.

3.) And reverential to the original-again not giving spoilers.

Enjoy!

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I'm not sure, but I know I'll be keeping an eye on his work from now on. I watched it in 3D for the first time last night, and to say I was impressed is an uderstatement. What an absolute thrill ride of a movie. Easily my favorite JP film since 1993, and scary how close it came to topping that film as my favorite( I still like the characters better in Jurassic Park). Fun, and right up my alley. Also was it me or did Jurassic World seem like an "R" disguided as a "PG-13"? There was so much carnage after it got going I had to laugh. Almost non stop bloodshed, but thats how I like it.

Great action film, helmed by a great director I never heard of.

dpippel likes this.
  10. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    He's allowed his opinion just as you are allowed yours. For the record, I thought the script was trite. I enjoyed the film fine, but there are ways to have your summer blockbuster cake and eat it, too, Back to the Future being a prime example of a "popcorn flick" (oh, how I don't want to read that phrase ever again) that has a great script - same with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Jurassic World is not in their league, in that regard, IMO. Entertaining? Sure. I didn't turn it off or anything. I understand why it made a billion zillion dollars - people like loud, people like dinosaurs. And I had some really good pizza last time I was at the Chinese buffet - it had noodles in black bean sauce on it. :)

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

He's directing Star Wars Episode IX and in addition to his two movies, hearing him speak on this disc about what he wanted to bring to JW gives me a lot of hope for what he'll do with Star Wars.

12. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    "Oh no, the dino's are on the loose...again"

"Don't worry, they'll only be eating extras & bit-part players, but run around a lot anyway"

These films really aren't worth arguing about.

13. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Cinematographer

Remember that Universal didn't expect JURASSIC WORLD to do nearly as well as it did. The opening weekend box-office numbers threw everybody for a loop, they were expecting more like 1/2 of what it did gross.

Vincent

14. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Cinematographer

I do. There have been plenty of "summer blockbusters" that have good screenplays. I'm with the guy you were responding to, I really, really, REALLY hated this movie, "minority opinion" be damned.

Vincent

TheBat likes this.
  15. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Wow. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Different strokes and all.

16. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well they're far more enjoyable and entertaining than Schindler's List and 12 Years a Slave. That's one thing in their favor.

Richard Fuchs likes this.
  17. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yeah, there's not a laugh in either of them :)

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Oh I wouldn't go that far. :)

19. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Gotta agree with Bruce on this, I thought the film was a diverting enough piece of fan service but in terms of "popcorn movie" status I've got a bunch of movies that do it so much better than this (the original JP, for one), and I didn't take kindly to all the smug meta references to blockbuster movies in general while it does the exact same things.

I feel the same way about Terminator Genisys too (if only it had dinosaurs in it, it'd have grossed a billion easy), I think I've seen too much brainless multiplex fodder in my time and I'm starting to get just a little tired of it. Then again I loved San Andreas; I will not argue its merits as A Good Film™ but it's the best disaster flick I've seen in years.

20. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Got a couple of plot-point questions. When Dr Wu refers to "their side-deal" and later Hoskins talks about a smaller dinosaur to be used as a soldier, are they both referring to the same thing. The side-deal is the soldier dino?

Near the end, after the Indominus is gone, Blue looks at Owen, Owen looks back and shakes his head. Blue then trots off. Is Blue asking "Do I stay with you?" To which Owen says no?