What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jurassic World 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hank_P said:
I better watch it again in 3D. I saw this at the theater and truly enjoyed the movie (but did not see in 3D). With the BR release, I was excited to see it in 3D. Maybe my hopes were to high or something but I would give it an "okay" in 3D. The 3D really did not knock my socks off as I was 'expecting'. I still enjoyed the movie, but maybe I missed something while viewing it. My wife was the same way though. We will definitely give it another watch soon, as we did really like what they did with it. There are a couple scenes were I thought it popped really good, but was not consistent throughout. As far as sound goes, LOVED IT! It rocked my house pretty good.

I bought JP Blu-ray 3D and it came with a coupon for $8 off JW. I saw JW in 3D and I was not impressed. Maybe the 3D is better on the Blu-ray?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
Irfan Khan stole very scene he was in if you ask me.

Really? I thought he was a non-factor in the movie - he barely made an impression with me.

Not his fault, though - the movie didn't give him much to do. He delivers a few bits of exposition and that's about it...

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Colin Jacobson said:
Really? I thought he was a non-factor in the movie - he barely made an impression with me.

Not his fault, though - the movie didn't give him much to do. He delivers a few bits of exposition and that's about it...

I was scratching my head a bit when he was going off on BD Wong, yelling "We did not hire you to create monsters!!!!", when just a little while ago he was saying "This will give the parents nightmares. It's fantastic!" :unsure:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
When he was dressing down Wong about creating monsters he was specifically referring to the camouflage and heat signature disguising capabilities of the Indominus.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robert Harris said:
One of the things that I loved was the homage to Kong, especially censored scenes.

RAH
What was this, went over my head.

Real Name
Rich
I picked this up to complete my set, and was surprised at how cannily this was put together, and how entertaining it was. After the second and third films, I really didn't think they had another worthwhile JP film to make.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
RolandL said:
I bought JP Blu-ray 3D and it came with a coupon for $8 off JW. I saw JW in 3D and I was not impressed. Maybe the 3D is better on the Blu-ray?

Nope. :(

Just depth. No pop out. 2.5D all the way.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Reed Grele said:
Nope. :(

Just depth. No pop out. 2.5D all the way.

Because something does not pop out it's not 2.5D instead of 3D. It's as valid a 3D design as any other. Things can extend immensely behind the screen and they can to some degree pop out. The latter is more difficult to do well as the gimmick factor quickly escalates. Things constantly popping out is usually not in the service of the story and quickly gets annoying. Ultimately a directorial choice and has nothing to do with 2.5D versus 3D but visual style.

Pave-man-t

Auditioning
Real Name
Lucas
Arf, I deliberately missed it when it hit the big screens ; here in France critics literally descended it in flames.

Now I regret my absence of free-will and the power of nostalgia, I must give it a chance :3dglasses:

alpy

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrea
This movie I liked, although presents various stereotypes.
The suspense is, the rhythms and the special effects are just great. Fitting well done, the photograph is neat, defined and colorful. Although the final duel is almost "call", it is still very epic in the making. This makes me endure the various clichés, like the protagonist hard (a bit 'obvious) and the nice manager that runs in the forest on high heels. The bad (Vincent D'Onofrio) with an archaic warrior instinct that is almost more dinosaur dinosaurs themselves ..... and also functions as "operation nostalgia". The music by Williams resounds and return back with the mind.

It irritates me even more as Universal has dealt very badly twice the BD of the original Jurassic Park, the first edition with an old master and the second with a master's degree that would have been great but destroyed by the DNR. Hoping that through the new staff the major return on his steps on the original chapter, this film consider it a worthy sequel to the original, perhaps more than the others that preceded it in the middle. Personal taste obviously. If we add a Blu-Ray Disc to the state of the art from the technical point of view that is derived from a DI 2K, the game for me is done.

Real Name
Rich
I wasn't too bothered by the "stereotypes"...obviously they have to simplify characters for the younger crowd and for international audiences (although I do have to ask why the black folks seem to have a really hard time surviving these films). I also can't fathom how JP turned out to be such a mess on BR, when Jaws and ET turned out so well. It's hard to believe Spielberg approved it in its current state. I remembr seeing it theatrically and the BR looks nothing like it. Al least the sound is better, I remember how loud and abrasively harsh the early digital soundtrack was.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Richard Fuchs said:
I picked this up to complete my set, and was surprised at how cannily this was put together, and how entertaining it was. After the second and third films, I really didn't think they had another worthwhile JP film to make.
That was my thought, after the first! I hated it. I did like this one, even though every single issue that befalls someone, is due to their own stupidity. I did like the park design, and really thought that everything looked like it belonged in a theme park dedicated to dinosaurs. The only nonsensical ride was the gyropsphere (or whatever it was called), which just made no sense, whatsoever. A fun film, definitely in 2.5D.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Michel_Hafner said:
Because something does not pop out it's not 2.5D instead of 3D. It's as valid a 3D design as any other. Things can extend immensely behind the screen and they can to some degree pop out. The latter is more difficult to do well as the gimmick factor quickly escalates. Things constantly popping out is usually not in the service of the story and quickly gets annoying. Ultimately a directorial choice and has nothing to do with 2.5D versus 3D but visual style.
A film as gimmicky as JURASSIC WORLD can certainly handle a gimmick like pop out in 3D. I don't think anyone who likes the pop out factor wants it "constantly", just occasionally.

Number 6

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Hahn
After reading Mr. Harris' words here, I am brought back to my experience watching this in the theatre: Did we watch the same movie?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not one of those folks that begrudge others' good time if it doesn't line up with mine, but I can remember being completely baffled at the applause at the end of the screening I attended over the summer. I honestly thought to myself, Are they being ironic? Okay, it wasn't great, but you don't have to mock it! It took me a minute or two to realize that the audience was earnest.

I won't mince words: I thought this movie was terrible. And, yes, the problems for me began and ended with the written word. The dialogue was stilted, the events of the plot were absurd, and, in the end, I cared nothing for any of the (completely two-dimensional) characters (who uniformly made asinine choices to a degree that completely made it impossible to for me to suspend my disbelief.)

But, having said this, I'm happy that this kind of movie is still being made--and that, apparently, it received a worthy presentation. I just wish that, along with the (kinda-sorta) impressive special effects, we could have a solid story as well, dialogue that doesn't make you wince, and characters that we could actually care about. (And, no, shoehorning in some contrivance about two kids' parents divorcing at the head and tail of the movie, doesn't count. :))

Cheers

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Number 6 said:
After reading Mr. Harris' words here, I am brought back to my experience watching this in the theatre: Did we watch the same movie?

Don't get me wrong; I'm not one of those folks that begrudge others' good time if it doesn't line up with mine, but I can remember being completely baffled at the applause at the end of the screening I attended over the summer. I honestly thought to myself, Are they being ironic? Okay, it wasn't great, but you don't have to mock it! It took me a minute or two to realize that the audience was earnest.

I won't mince words: I thought this movie was terrible. And, yes, the problems for me began and ended with the written word. The dialogue was stilted, the events of the plot were absurd, and, in the end, I cared nothing for any of the (completely two-dimensional) characters (who uniformly made asinine choices to a degree that completely made it impossible to for me to suspend my disbelief.)

But, having said this, I'm happy that this kind of movie is still being made--and that, apparently, it received a worthy presentation. I just wish that, along with the (kinda-sorta) impressive special effects, we could have a solid story as well, dialogue that doesn't make you wince, and characters that we could actually care about. (And, no, shoehorning in some contrivance about two kids' parents divorcing at the head and tail of the movie, doesn't count. :))

Cheers

You want a Mankiewicz quality screenplay for a summer popcorn film? We were lucky to have Sir Richard in the early endeavors. It ends with that.

Just put it in the same place as going on a ride at Disney (or Universal.)

Lots a chasing around, lots of noise, some great special fx. You want More?

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Number 6 said:

Cheers
To each his own as obviously yours is a minority opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks