What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This one is simple.

The first four Jurassic Park productions (1993 - 2015), are included in Universal's new 4k boxed set, and the difference between the last Blu-ray releases, and the new 4k is astounding.

Probably best described as a veil having been lifted.

While the Blu-rays are all quality affairs, the new image harvests, presumably from the original camera negs, are so perfect in every detail, that comparisons really don't come into play.

My only advice is to grab a set, as there is zero chance of not seeing the upgrade on anything newer than a 1953 black & white Dumont.

Likewise, the tracks have been upgraded from DTS-HD MA 7.1 to DTS-X.

Universal has given us a world-class release, of the finest quality imaginable.

As an aside, for those who may not have seen Jurassic World, the aspect ratio will look a bit different, as it's 2.0:1, as opposed to 1.85:1.

Image - 5 (HDR10)

Audio - 5 (DTS-X)

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Hmmmm...well, I trust your opinion. I held off on this one for a variety of reasons associated with the Blu-ray set. Mixed reviews everywhere but I might as well check it out with my own eyes. Thanks for having me revisit this one. I was hoping it would be worth picking up.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Hmmmm...well, I trust your opinion. I held off on this one for a variety of reasons associated with the Blu-ray set. Mixed reviews everywhere but I might as well check it out with my own eyes. Thanks for having me revisit this one. I was hoping it would be worth picking up.
It's $50 at Target this week (and Wal*Mart) ...

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah amazon Canada is $49CDN. Great price for three 4Ks.
4 4k (Original 3) + plus Jurassic World ...
jurassic-park-4k[1].jpg

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Dang it. I was hoping I wouldn’t be tempted to buy these. Now it sounds like a must buy.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Mr Harris, i'm glad you approve of this release, but JP III in particular appears to have drawn the most criticism in other reviews, some even concluding it's not a new 4K image harvest - merely an existing master upscaled at best - do you have any derfinitive information on this, as in theory it should look as good / better than the first two.

M

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I did watch Jurassic Park over the weekend. While I wasn't disappointed in the transfer, I wasn't wow'ed by it either. It looked soft in a number of shots...which I expected with the age of the film. Do I regret the purchase? Heavens no...isolated screencaps on my phone turned out awesomely fantastic. Just keep in mind this isn't a 2017/2018 film.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I'm wondering when the next JP film hits store shelves will we see a new 4K box set with 5 films, just speculating?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Trevarrow wanted to go with 2.35:1 and Spielberg wanted 1.85 so they compromised.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Trevarrow wanted to go with 2.35:1 and Spielberg wanted 1.85 so they compromised.
Ironically Bayona got to make Fallen Kingdom in 2.35 so I'm not sure what the point of this compromise was.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm wondering when the next JP film hits store shelves will we see a new 4K box set with 5 films, just speculating?
Personally, I am waiting for the opposite -- individual releases of each film in UHD. I have no desire to buy any of the sequels again, and I am not paying $50 just so I can watch the original in 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks