What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I greatly respect Todd Phillips' Joker, and feel that Joaquin Phoenix's performance is both extraordinary, as well as award-quality, but while I love dark films, Joker was a bit on the nihilistic side for my taste.

Beautifully shot by Lawrence Sher, with blacks that are occasionally darker than black, it's an extremely welcome release from WB on 4k.

Projected, as one might expect, the black levels don't quite hit their intended mark, but the film still works visually, and the Dolby Atmos track knocks it out of the park.

On a Sony OLED, it another beast entirely, with gorgeous rich, inky blacks, and colors that drip off the screen.

Not loving a film doesn't mean that one can't sit back, and appreciate the look and feel of it. And Joker allows that in spades.

While not a collector of slipcovers, the design for Joker is extremely impressive, and one that shouldn't go in the trash. It's dark, and along with the black case, beautifully replicates the look of the film it contains.

As modern film releases go in 2020, there won't be many as beautifully mastered as Joker.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I thought this movie was really terrific in so many respects, although a very tough watch. Maybe it's because I grew up in the Silver Age of comic books that I feel like a comic book movie should have some fun in it and there was no fun whatsoever in this film. That doesn't make it a bad film, just a disturbing one. This Joker was played as a very disturbed and unintelligent man whereas Heath Ledger payed him as a very disturbed but highly intelligent man. But well worth seeing as it's brilliantly executed.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought this movie was really terrific in so many respects, although a very tough watch. Maybe it's because I grew up in the Silver Age of comic books that I feel like a comic book movie should have some fun in it and there was no fun whatsoever in this film. That doesn't make it a bad film, just a disturbing one. This Joker was played as a very disturbed and unintelligent man whereas Heath Ledger payed him as a very disturbed but highly intelligent man. But well worth seeing as it's brilliantly executed.

As many have noted, it's not
clear that this Joker is Batman's Joker. There are plenty of reasons to believe he's someone who inspired someone who later became Batman's Joker but not the real deal...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will watch but not looking forward to yet another DC dark movie. My favorite Joker will always be Cesar Romero who’s portrayal was definitive IMHO.
I'd recommend skipping it then because it's very dark and about as far removed from Cesar Romero as can be. Basically, they remade Taxi Driver but used the Joker in place of Travis Bickle.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
As many have noted, it's not
clear that this Joker is Batman's Joker. There are plenty of reasons to believe he's someone who inspired someone who later became Batman's Joker but not the real deal...

I've never heard that and I have a hard time believing that's what was intended, although if this film had failed, that logic could have been used for yet another reboot. It sounds to me like a rationalization for those who didn't like this Joker.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard that and I have a hard time believing that's what was intended, although if this film had failed, that logic could have been used for yet another reboot. It sounds to me like a rationalization for those who didn't like this Joker.

It's a theory that's been tossed out by many people - it's not especially niche.

Not "rationalization", especially because the theory comes mainly from people who did like the movie...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's a theory that's been tossed out by many people - it's not especially niche.

Not "rationalization", especially because the theory comes mainly from people who did like the movie...
I think it comes from people wanting to make the continuity of the Batman movies that they like work together. Using that theory, Heath Ledger exists in the same world as Joaquin Phoenix.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think it comes from people wanting to make the continuity of the movies work better.

Could be, but there are still plenty of reasons to view the 2019 Joker as not the criminal genius Joker.

It's a good theory and shouldn't be discounted out of hand. Does Arthur really seem like the kind of guy smart and capable enough to give Batman such a challenge?

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I'd recommend skipping it then because it's very dark and about as far removed from Cesar Romero as can be. Basically, they remade Taxi Driver but used the Joker in place of Travis Bickle.

Hey you nailed it from the trailers I’ve seen. Is that why De Niro’s in it- to pass the bat sheet baton? I will still watch it because of all the accolades and speaking of Taxi Driver I wonder what Scorsese thinks now that a amusement ride/comic book flick got more Oscar nods than his Irishman film. Will he boycott?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Who played Travis Bickle? :drum:

Oh - when I saw "bat sheet", I thought that was a Batman thing, like De Niro was there to connect to the Batman movies. Obviously that didn't make sense! :D

I think it's undeniable that De Niro's in the movie due to his connections to Scorsese, though I think "King of Comedy" is as important a link as "Taxi Driver", and maybe more, given that "KoC" revolved around a psycho obsessed with a talk show host.

So they're handing off the baton from Rupert Pupkin, not Travis! ;)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Oh - when I saw "bat sheet", I thought that was a Batman thing, like De Niro was there to connect to the Batman movies. Obviously that didn't make sense! :D

I think it's undeniable that De Niro's in the movie due to his connections to Scorsese, though I think "King of Comedy" is as important a link as "Taxi Driver", and maybe more, given that "KoC" revolved around a psycho obsessed with a talk show host.

So they're handing off the baton from Rupert Pupkin, not Travis! ;)

Ha- that’s a good one and a good connection as well. Joker had to live up to both and go beyond them with Rupert/Travis on the set!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Watched this on Blu the other day. One thing I found interesting is that it’s a WB title that was transferred at true 1.85 as opposed to most other WB flat titles that are slightly modified to 1.78. Is WB changing their stance or this just a one off?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks