1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jezebel - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    One might surmise that many of the old DVDs were sourced from extant, archaic 20-25 year-old telecine masters, derived from well-used 35mm duplicate printing negatives. Built-in positive/negative dirt, damaged frames.

worts and all releases.

Harold Chasen, JohnMor, PMF and 3 others like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yep, I'm pretty sure George Feltenstein has clearly stated beforehand, when they first started the Warner Archive Collection that these DVD releases will not be pristine and will fall short quality-wise from their usual DVD releases. IMO, the early WAC releases circa 2009 were worse quality-wise than many of their current DVD releases as they have improved their processes over the years for getting these film titles ready for WAC release. There were even some film titles from 2009, that were released again on DVD in which you can see some distinguishable improvement from it's prior DVD release. One of those titles that comes to mind is "Four Daughters".

3. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

There were many several Warner Archives DVD releases which were later upgraded with better quality. Robert is right about "Four Daughters", and "The Adventures of Mark Twain" is another example where there was a reissue. Same thing goes for "The BIg House", which they remastered very impressively, and their reissue included 2 foreign language versions. I think they upped their game in DVD quality about a year after they launched. Going back and listening to their older podcasts on iTunes, you can find interesting information. I can recall them talking about remastering the Forbidden Hollywood films, and things like "What Price Hollywood". I must have several hundred of their DVDs, and 9 times out of ten the picture and sound quality is remarkably good.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  4. Message #84 of 93 Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yep, the reissue for "Four Daughters" came out 05-17-11 while the first WAC release of it was 05-05-09. "The Big House" first edition was 03-23-09 and the remastered version came out on 03-11-14.

Will Krupp and ahollis like this.
  5. Message #85 of 93 Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    By the way, my purchases of Warner Archive DVDs has slowed down over the last 2-3 years, but I still have over 500 titles in my disc library. Ever since Warner farmed out the distribution of their discs, I don't buy many of them directly from that site. Furthermore, the TCM app and being retired has allowed me to watch more of their films without buying their discs.

ahollis likes this.
  6. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    That was (is?) a nice thing about their MOD program. They were far more likely to be able to update the digital file to use toward new replications than if they had been regular releases. WHO'S KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE? is another one that got a widescreen remaster at some point.

7. OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Stunt Coordinator

Ken S-B
    What I am thankful for is that I can often watch clean, sharp prints that have been off the cinema circuit for 80 years. I was not grumbling about poor quality prints but merely wondering why some are very soft.

PMF likes this.
  8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    What Warner Archive app are you talking about? Warner Archive Instant shut down a while back. Do you mean Filmstruck or the Watch TCM app?

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, I misspoke, I'm talking about the TCM app as it gives me more time to watch stuff.

10. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I review lots of WAC Blu-rays, but I can't recall the last time I reviewed one of their DVDs.

I've been consistently impressed by the high quality of WAC BDs but the last few WAC DVDs I saw were meh at best.

The 2016 "Doc Hollywood" finally got the movie a widescreen presentation, and it upgraded one of the worst DVDs I ever saw. I almost never give "F" grades for picture, but the original "DH" was awful enough to earn that.

Though the 2016 DVD was an improvement, it still had plenty of issues and I gave it a "C".

The 2017 BD became an obvious upgrade. Dunno why they didn't just go Blu a year earlier!

MatthewA likes this.
  11. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I have little doubt that WAC is fully aware that "Jezebel" has not been available on the Best Buy website for many a week.
    Yes, there's Amazon and the Warner's store on-line, but with Best Buy offering the bulk of other WAC titles;
    including "The Letter", "The Thin Man", "Footlight Parade", "The Sea Hawk" and "Summer Stock";
    would it not behoove the cause of showing our support for their restorations were they to have "Jezebel" on hand, as well?

12. MovieFan85

MovieFan85 Auditioning

Chris
    The Warner Archive Collection Blu-ray edition of JEZEBEL was reviewed by Randy Miller III on Blu-ray.com on December 7, 2019, and in the review, this is what he said:

"Although Jezebel's original nitrate negative was long thought to be unusable in recent decades (partially due to studio-mandated cuts made during the 1940s), this Blu-ray is advertised as being sourced from a 4K scan of that original source element."

Is it true that the Warner Archiver Blu-ray of JEZEBEL was sourced from a 4K restoration? If it's true, then that's fantastic.

Jay_Z_525 likes this.
  13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    As a New Orleanian, I find it fascinating that the the back story is of yellow fever gripping the city. Much like the virus is at this moment. History does repeat itself.

Richard M S likes this.