What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Jamaica Inn -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Comparisons between the Arrow and Cohen release.
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9077&d2=8705&s1=87507&s2=83494&i=3&l=0&a=2

I prefer the brighter Arrow release which reveals more detail in the dark parts.
As far as encoding is concerned, of course this is a detail now, but maybe the Arrow is a tad better encoded?
Or it seems so because it's brighter?
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=288&y=504&d1=9077&d2=8705&s1=87504&s2=83491&l=1&i=0&go=1
Anyway, whatever is, the inclusion of English subtitles alone, makes the Arrow a sure purchase from me..

the extras seem to be identical in both releases.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I don't know why, but Cohen Media's restored Blu-ray (and DVD) of Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn seems to be out-of-print already, just a couple of years after its street date. There's nothing about it, that I've read, which indicates that it was some sort of limited pressing, along the lines of Twilight Time's output, and Cohen Media's website still has it up among its current roster of home video titles (though their website doesn't have its own store).

Nevertheless, all the major online retailers (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Walmart, DeepDiscount, DVD Planet, etc) list it as "out of stock" or "unavailable" (or don't list it at all), and 3rd-party sellers are asking ridiculously high amounts for it (starting at $165, via Amazon).

Some other Cohen Media releases, like Hangmen Also Die, and the double-feature of That Man From Rio / Up to His Ears, released around the same time (or earlier), remain available, at their normal retail prices.

Even more oddly, a quick check shows that Arrow Films' comparable Region-B Blu-ray edition of Jamaica Inn, released just a year ago, is no longer listed on their website (though is still for sale, at a reasonable price, at Amazon.uk)!

What gives?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Even more oddly, a quick check shows that Arrow Films' comparable Region-B Blu-ray edition of Jamaica Inn, released just a year ago, is no longer listed on their website (though is still for sale, at a reasonable price, at Amazon.uk)!

What gives?

about Arrow: They're moving warehouse or something, and they had a few copies left on sale just a few days ago.
When the move is complete, I'm sure they're relist it.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
There's nothing about it, that I've read, which indicates that it was some sort of limited pressing, along the lines of Twilight Time's output,

Twilight Time's practice is more of just a marketing emphasis. TT's run of 3,000 is about the right number for most of the more obscure catalog titles they offer, and TT does do second printings when demand is strong. The only thing that draws attention to it is when they get a hold of a strong cult title that sells out quickly (Fright Night, etc.). All the fanboy wailing of "Why, TT, this is stupid, why not take my money?"

Only the new releases sold in mass market stores justify initial print runs in the tens of thousands or more.

The point is -- Cohen probably approaches things about like TT in print runs, but just hasn't made the decision to market it like a "limited run" and tell people what their standard print run is. I'm not surprised at all Jamaica Inn is at least temporarily out of print.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Good news-- looks like Cohen Media has pressed another run of Jamaica Inn on Blu-ray. I've received a copy today, that I ordered from Deep Discount a week or so ago, and it's also readily available now from Amazon, as well.

Last edited:

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I picked this up in an online order from the Barnes & Noble sale. It was out of stock when I first checked early in the month but then later showed as in stock. Looks like it's still available. We watched it last night and, while definitely weak by Hitchcock standards, it's definitely worth a viewing. There are some fine performances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks