What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's Alive Trilogy -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory, via their license with WB, is releasing the three original It's Alive films, written and directed by Larry Cohen.

The low-budget trilogy (1975, 1978 and 1987) has always had a following, and fans should be thrilled with what Scream if offering.

The film was remade in 2008.

With the good, ie. a shiny new 2k transfers, comes the bad, in that the films look to have an even lower budget than I might, as everything is exposed. The third installment, shot by Daniel Pearl does come off as higher quality, but the films remain what they were, and that's probably what many people love about them.

All three films look far better than they should on Blu-ray, and all's well.

The very good news for those fans, is that the trilogy is available for about $30, and contains a nice set of extras.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Definitely

Recommended

RAH

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I haven't seen the sequels, but I thought It's Alive was a terrific movie. It's more of a melodrama dressed up as a horror film. Bernard Herrmann's score is magnificent.

For that matter, I first saw it on Turner Classic Movies... after which, they showed Eraserhead. Not exactly a double feature intended for those thinking of starting a family.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
These are crazy movies, made by a wonderful, crazy man who I've had the pleasure of working with for the past year - my friend Larry Cohen. I recently directed the world premiere of the musical he wrote with the Sherman Brothers back in 1979, which had been unproduced prior to us doing it. It's called Levi, the story of Levi Strauss and it's terrific.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
The Alive movies are much loved by many people. Good to hear these transfers are such high quality.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Just finished all three. I'd never seen the third film, even though I was friends with the gal who was its property master. And yes, it is far and away the best looking of the three, thanks to Daniel Pearl. I'd stayed away from the third because I read a review that said it was so cheap and shoddy and all took place on an island. I really want to find that inane review and cram it down the author's throat, whoever it may have been. The third film is probably the most outre, mostly thanks to the supremely weird performance of Michael Moriarty who seems to be vying with Christopher Walken as to who could be weirder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks