What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's a Wonderful Life -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The problem with that is the list of films that won't benefit much is increasing rapidly as the initial hype that was 4k continues to evaporate.
I disagree, only because more and more new films are being shot and finished in 4K in order to keep up with the advance of display technology, both in the theater and in the home. When it comes to older films, however, there are so few 4K releases of older films that studios need to take into account which films actually benefit from an UHD release, rather than releasing them willy nilly and charging the public more for content that is only marginally better than HD releases that can often be had for a fraction of the cost of the 4K release, whether it be digital or disc-based.

I know that the studios would be more than happy to see physical media die sooner, rather than later, because they make more profit off of a purely-digital release, but it's still frustrating to me as a strident defender of the value of physical media for reasons of both quality and longevity to see a really nice format not exploited to its full capabilities. I'm tilting at windmills, I know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks quite good, however I'm curious as to your opinion on whether or not the 4K version is a significant improvement over the HD version of the restoration. I agree that the restored version is an improvement on the currently-available Blu-ray.
I don't have the HD version of the restoration to make such a comparison, unless you're talking about the color version. However, it's a distinct improvement over the two previously released Blu-rays that I have in my collection. By the way which equipment are you viewing this on? My equipment is an LG OLED via 4KATV.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the HD version of the restoration to make such a comparison, unless you're talking about the color version. However, it's a distinct improvement over the two previously released Blu-rays that I have in my collection. By the way which equipment are you viewing this on? My equipment is an LG OLED via 4KATV.
I also have an LG 4K OLED. I watched it via the Vudu app on a Roku. To compare it, I hooked up an older, non-4K Roku and looked at selected scenes via the HD stream. There was very little difference when viewing the native 4K stream and the HD stream. Some, certainly, but not enough that I felt the 4K version was a substantial step-up.

I'm in no way saying that the restored, 4K version is not really nice-looking and a big improvement on the Blu-ray. It is. All I'm saying is that if you have a choice between purchasing the restored HD version and the restored 4K version, you aren't really losing anything if the HD version is cheaper, which it usually is. If they were to release a 4K disc of the film, I wouldn't hesitate buying it as the current restoration is the best the film has looked on home video. I'd think twice, though, if a separate Blu-ray was available at a lower price point.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]I know that the studios would be more than happy to see physical media die sooner, rather than later, because they make more profit off of a purely-digital release, but it's still frustrating to me as a strident defender of the value of physical media for reasons of both quality and longevity to see a really nice format not exploited to its full capabilities. I'm tilting at windmills, I know.
"I'm Sancho! Yes, I'm Sancho!
I'll follow my master till the end
I'll tell all the world proudly
I'm his squire! I'm his friend!"
- Mitch Leigh​

P.S. Brian, mind if I join your posse?:)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]If they were to release a 4K disc of the film, I wouldn't hesitate buying it as the current restoration is the best the film has looked on home video. I'd think twice, though, if a separate Blu-ray was available at a lower price point.
Obviously, I wouldn't hesitate buying a 4K disc, either.
But the donkey I'm riding on says that even an isolated Blu Ray of the new restoration would more than suffice.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I also have an LG 4K OLED. I watched it via the Vudu app on a Roku. To compare it, I hooked up an older, non-4K Roku and looked at selected scenes via the HD stream. There was very little difference when viewing the native 4K stream and the HD stream. Some, certainly, but not enough that I felt the 4K version was a substantial step-up.

I'm in no way saying that the restored, 4K version is not really nice-looking and a big improvement on the Blu-ray. It is. All I'm saying is that if you have a choice between purchasing the restored HD version and the restored 4K version, you aren't really losing anything if the HD version is cheaper, which it usually is. If they were to release a 4K disc of the film, I wouldn't hesitate buying it as the current restoration is the best the film has looked on home video. I'd think twice, though, if a separate Blu-ray was available at a lower price point.
One thing I did notice is that the 4K version on Vudu is HDR while the iTunes has it in Dolby Vision.

Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Everyone should watch the 13 minute restoration documentary that is an extra on the iTunes purchase. It’s loaded with interesting information about how they scanned the original negative and used HDR to get the best results. By the way, the documentary itself is in 4K, but without HDR.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Everyone should watch the 13 minute restoration documentary that is an extra on the iTunes purchase. It’s loaded with interesting information about how they scanned the original negative and used HDR to get the best results. By the way, the documentary itself is in 4K, but without HDR.
George: "Wadda ya mean those other films were never restored!!?"
Clarence: "They couldn't get restored, George, because you weren't there on disc for those other needed monies to come in."
George: "But they made a restoration documentary about our film for audiences to see and understand."
Clarence: "But, George, the majority of people who are streaming only care about the movie, itself; they don't care about the extras or all that goes into a restoration, like you and me. Don't you see, George? Because you were never BD'd, Paramount's Unit of Potter Streaming* was able to take over your father's home theater library, while, consequently, driving out those other salt of the earth's who also helped to build this market."
George: "That's a lie, that's a lie!!"
Clarence: "Strange, isn't it? Each man's format touches so many other lives. When that format isn't around it leaves an awful hole, doesn't it? Don't you see what a mistake it would be to just throw it away?"
George: (sobbing) "I wanna live again."

*aka PUPS

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree as I watched three of those new featurettes in the bonus material on iTunes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
George: "Whadda ya mean those other films never got restored!!?"
Clarence: "They couldn't get restored, George, because you weren't there on disc for the other monies to come in."
George: "But they made a restoration documentary about our film for audiences to see and understand."
Clarence: "But the majority of those people with streaming don't care about restoration, George. Don't you see, George? Because you were never BD'd, Paramount's Potter Unit of Streaming was able to take over your father's home theater library; driving out those salt of the earth's who helped to build this market.
George: "That's a lie, that's a lie!!"
Clarence: "Strange, isn't it? Each man's format touches so many other lives. When that format isn't around it leaves an awful hole, doesn't it? Don't you see what a mistake it would be to just throw it away?"
I:lol::lol::lol:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Paul McCartney is writing It's a Wonderful Life: The Musical

Whether you like the idea or not, it can only increase interest in the original film, heightening the chances of a BD or even UHD BD of the restoration. On the subject of remakes in general, I've a solution for anyone who says "Why can't they leave it alone?", "They're murdering a classic" or that old fave, "They're crapping all over my childhood memories": ignore it and don't buy any tickets to see it. Works fine for me. ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Quite a few of the Christmas classics have already been adapted into musicals, so why not It's a Wonderful Life. You never know from where something genius might spring.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Here's the bums' contact info:
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]
Yet NBC only shows the B&W version on what is now the film's sole annual TV airing.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]

Actually it also airs on USA Network, which is NBC's sister cable network (both part of the NBCUniversal group). USA shows it about 2 or 3 times a year.
[/color]

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Last edited:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Definitely some of the songs will have to be performed by (ah-hem) Wings.:rolleyes:

"Mary, I'm Amazed"
"Uncle Billy"
"Bank on the Run"
"Old Potter's Field Forever"
"You've Got Hide Your Cash Away"
"I'll Die Instead"
"When I'm AS2"
"Georgie, You're a Rich Man"
Brilliant! :lol::lol::lol:

Got any more?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I intend to take full credit for tomorrow's release of "It's a Wonderful Life" on 4K/UHD.
And why not? For it was only 10 months ago that I posted message #230, and apparently Paramount saw its wisdom.
Indeed, man does not live by streaming alone;
for earth's truer harmonies and balance has its origins placed squarely upon physical media and full restorations from an OCN.
Yes, dear friends, it all happens tomorrow;
and Paramount will have finally earned its wings.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks