What's new

willyTass

Supporting Actor
This probably doesn’t shed much light

but per avsforum the Sony oleds use UHD player chips for Dolby vision processing

All LG oleds and the 2019 Panasonic oleds use a superior chipset in the TV for Dolby vision decoding ( and experts say that method is much superior)

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Thanks for the report, can you tell us if the colorized Blu-ray that comes with the 4k set looks like the new Blu-ray that is separately sold if you take all color out of it?

I can say with 100% certainty that it actually looks better. I first set my saturation to 0, and it looked the same. Then I realized my mistake. So I set the saturation to -100 and of course now it looks 11x better!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why would the 2009 colorized Blu-ray without color look like the new Blu-ray that’s derived from a recently done 4K source?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Why would the 2009 colorized Blu-ray without color look like the new Blu-ray that’s derived from a recently done 4K source?

I have a feeling he misread or misunderstood the question, since his response doesn't make any sense in light of his positive impressions of both new Blu-Ray's back in post #113.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I have a feeling he misread or misunderstood the question, since his response doesn't make any sense in light of his positive impressions of both new Blu-Ray's back in post #113.

Perhaps! I thought the question was in jest! So my reply was the same! I didn't even bother to put the color Blu-rays in the player. In fact, now that I have the 4K and the new Blu-ray, I will put the new Blu-ray with the 4K and throw out both color discs.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I had a feeling you perhaps were kidding around when you said how "it looks 11x better!", but figured if Robert was taking it seriously, that you must've just been emphasizing how much better it looks. :)

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I had a feeling you perhaps were kidding around when you said how "it looks 11x better!", but figured if Robert was taking it seriously, that you must've just been emphasizing how much better it looks. :)

Ha. Yeah, not sure if OliverK's question was serious or not now. If it was, I believe the color Blu-ray with the 4K is the same as the 2009 color Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was responding to this post:

Thanks for the report, can you tell us if the colorized Blu-ray that comes with the 4k set looks like the new Blu-ray that is separately sold if you take all color out of it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For the record, neither player (Oppo), nor panel, allow adjustments when sensing a Dolby Vision signal. Probably as it should be.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Received this message from:

old mole, Today at 4:40 AM

2 more glowing reviews of Wonderful Life: see Blu-ray.com and Hi Def Digest. Both praise the restoration work and give the video a 5/5 and 4.5/5. I agree with their reviews.

The other reviewers obviously have equipment that's more properly set up than mine. I'll defer to their comments, and agree that the new 4k is perfect, or at least nearly so.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps! I thought the question was in jest! So my reply was the same! I didn't even bother to put the color Blu-rays in the player. In fact, now that I have the 4K and the new Blu-ray, I will put the new Blu-ray with the 4K and throw out both color discs.

Sorry about that, I thought the colorized version was also based on the new master. Hey, at least everybody could have a few laughs :)

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Received this message from:

old mole, Today at 4:40 AM

2 more glowing reviews of Wonderful Life: see Blu-ray.com and Hi Def Digest. Both praise the restoration work and give the video a 5/5 and 4.5/5. I agree with their reviews.

The other reviewers obviously have equipment that's more properly set up than mine. I'll defer to their comments, and agree that the new 4k is perfect, or at least nearly so.

I do wish all reviewers would start to add a note to their reviews about the equipment they are using for their evaluation, because for 4K UHD discs, it’s not enough anymore to just say “ISF calibrated”, like it used to be for BT.601 or BT.709 (DVD and Blu-ray). Things are a lot more complicated, as we can see in this thread, and it would help. Sometimes even a different firmware for a display device can cause issues with certain titles, so it’s unfortunate but the new reality.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Maybe future players should include a button that activates a built-in photo shop app. We could type in our concerns with the disc and walla, it's fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks