What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If the Oppo 203 cannot properly play IaWL...or has some kind of shortcoming that makes it a lesser player than the Panasonic model, that is something I would like explained to me.

It is something I don't understand.

That doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to ask.

panasonic can’t seem to “properly” play it either.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If the Oppo 203 cannot properly play IaWL...or has some kind of shortcoming that makes it a lesser player than the Panasonic model, that is something I would like explained to me.

It is something I don't understand.

That doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to ask.
He said that with DV engaged the Panasonic and Oppo were the same. So there’s nothing wrong with Oppo’s ability except that you can’t turn off DV/HDR. But the disc is still not “correct” even with DV/HDR turned off. I say keep your Oppos and chuck the disc. :D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
He said that with DV engaged the Panasonic and Oppo were the same. So there’s nothing wrong with Oppo’s ability except that you can’t turn off DV/HDR. But the disc is still not “correct” even with DV/HDR turned off. I say keep your Oppos and chuck the disc. :D

Or, buy the Blu-ray and redeem the code on iTunes for the 4K copy. "Best" of both worlds.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Good question. Because I am left to wonder (as a result of these posts) if our Oppo 203s are lacking in some way.

I don’t think so.

I think RAH is dissatisfied with how HDR was used on this specific title, and wanted to try a different model of BD player which allowed him to switch the HDR off to see if the HDR on the disc was what was causing his unsatisfactory viewing experience - but upon doing so, was still dissatisfied with the image. In other words, the player is fine, he just has issues with choices the studio made in mastering the new restoration.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Or watch the 4K disc first on your 4K display to see whether you have the same issues as RAH.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not trying to play devil's advocate or anything (I don't have an Oppo or a Panasonic UHD player), but from reading other threads and forums, didn't the Oppo have particular trouble with the Daniel Craig 007 UHD releases? Or were they problematic with all other UHD players as well.

Or maybe those were merely isolated instances on a few machines that got blown wildly out of proportion.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
More on It's a Wonderful Life.

.... I've now gone through this about fifty different times, with and without DV and HDR actuated...

and no matter what I do, the overall shading and shadow detail of the film is not what it should be.

It looks very nice, overall. Sharp, stable, but not correct.

Thank you so much Robert for your diligent work with this release.

Being one of those who feels the same way about the 4K, I'll be buying the new blu-ray.

Reactions: PMF

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I picked up the UHD package here in Australia the other day, which comes with the black and white bluray. I played the UHD on my Panasonic 820 UHD player, and did back and forth comparisons with the new bluray on my Oppo BDP-93.

I can only agree with Mr Harris - there is some weird stuff going on with the UHD. It doesn't have the contrast or range of grey tones evident on the bluray. I also noticed that the UHD had a distinctly blue/grey cast in comparison to the bluray, which is a warmer grey overall (and seems more natural to me).

I tried the UHD with Dolby Vision and HDR+ turned off - sad to say that that didn't improve matters. I did some close up pixel peeping and I am hard pressed to notice any extra detail on the UHD compared to the bluray. In motion the UHD appears fractionally sharper to me, but there's not much in it.

ps. I had more success in adjusting the look of the UHD via the picture controls of my Sony OLED TV, and got it looking a bit more contrasty without crushed blacks - but when I did the A/B comparison with the bluray, I still thought that the bluray looked more like a real film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I picked up the UHD package here in Australia the other day, which comes with the black and white bluray. I played the UHD on my Panasonic 820 UHD player, and did back and forth comparisons with the new bluray on my Oppo BDP-93.

I can only agree with Mr Harris - there is some weird stuff going on with the UHD. It doesn't have the contrast or range of grey tones evident on the bluray. I also noticed that the UHD had a distinctly blue/grey cast in comparison to the bluray, which is a warmer grey overall (and seems more natural to me).

I tried the UHD with Dolby Vision and HDR+ turned off - sad to say that that didn't improve matters. I did some close up pixel peeping and I am hard pressed to notice any extra detail on the UHD compared to the bluray. In motion the UHD appears fractionally sharper to me, but there's not much in it.

ps. I had more success in adjusting the look of the UHD via the picture controls of my Sony OLED TV, and got it looking a bit more contrasty without crushed blacks - but when I did the A/B comparison with the bluray, I still thought that the bluray looked more like a real film.

With no malice toward the 4k continuum counsel, there are are certain areas where standard issue Blu-ray at 1920 x 1080 gets the job more than done, even in projection.

There are also films that take on a totally different being in 4k.

But those are generally not b & w films from the 1950s and before.

Look at The Bad and the Beautiful, The Letter, or the new Criterion of Now, Voyager. All magnificently reproduced in what we can call 2k.

As are 95% of new theatrical releases.

Large format films, certain older 35mm productions that were proper 70mm blow-up candidates ( these become obvious), and many new digital productions, are all ripe for 4k. There is a definite place for it.

And it shines.

This particular film, and the brethren of its era? I don’t see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks