What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Just a couple of minor comments.
I don't think the Overture is meant to be butted up against the main title music like that, at least it wasn't in the UK version. In the UK version there was a forced pause before the main title because of the placement of the British Board of Film Censors card ahead of the main title. That few seconds pause added an anticipation, like a drawing of breath, of excitement as the film commenced in darkness.
From memory, the only two titles I can think of where the overture runs, or plays continuously, in to the main title and that is "GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD" and "MY FAIR LADY" and the censor card had to be at the head of the overture.
The other issue is that the overture is not on the short version. I projected, in the UK, the short version, in 35mm 'Scope & optical sound, and it had overture, intermission, entr'acte music etc.

Reactions: PMF

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Believe that the Overture to Cleopatra actually runs into the Fox logo at the beginning of the main titles. Also, I don't believe there is any pause between the Overture to The Sand Pebbles to the main title music.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Believe that the Overture to Cleopatra actually runs into the Fox logo at the beginning of the main titles. Also, I don't believe there is any pause between the Overture to The Sand Pebbles to the main title music.

With these two titles, again, I saw in the UK and the BBFC card split it up. But as they are separate music cues I can only assume that they had more of a pause in their theatrical US roadshow presentation.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
When I saw Doctor Doolittle on Sunday in 70mm in NFT 1 in London it had the Overture that went into the Cert then into the Fox Logo.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
IAMMMMW is playing at Seattle Cinerama as part of their 70mm film festival. They are claiming a run time of 205 minutes. That can't be right, can it? IIRC the Criterion runs 197 minutes, so even if that were printed to celluloid that wouldn't make up the difference.
IAMMMMW.JPG

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm sure that's a mistake, it should be the 154 (?) minute version, plus I would assume the overture, the "police calls" at intermission, entr'acte, and exit music.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The Criterion Blu-ray is 198 minutes. Add in an intermission and you have the 205 minutes. When it premiered the running time in the movie program was 210.

Reactions: PMF

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
IAMMMMW is playing at Seattle Cinerama as part of their 70mm film festival. They are claiming a run time of 205 minutes. That can't be right, can it? IIRC the Criterion runs 197 minutes, so even if that were printed to celluloid that wouldn't make up the difference. View attachment 48395
They said they also will be showing a new print of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The Criterion Blu-ray is 198 minutes. Add in an intermission and you have the 205 minutes. When it premiered the running time in the movie program was 210.

Hm. Makes me very curious about what they will be showing. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this one due to work conflicts.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Notice the ad also says "Adventure" instead of "Comedy". It's a mistake, if they're running 70mm it's the general release version with the music extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks