What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Inside Daisy Clover - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Mulligan made some wonderful films, and while the 1965 production Inside Daisy Clover isn't one of his best, it's an interesting little film.

27 year-old Natalie Wood plays 15 year-old Daisy, and it works. At that ripe old age this was her 38th film. Rebel was her 23rd.

It's your typical Hollywood success story, albeit about a feisty young thing, who won't be wrangled by the studio, her travels and travails. Had me thinking of Bette Davis.

A few production numbers are of typically 1930s fashion, and are decidedly okay.

I'd not seen this since 1965, so re-visiting was an interesting experience. What captured me was Charles Lang's cinematography. With a career going back to 1923, he's probably best known for the likes of A Farewell to Arms, Peter Ibbetson, Desire, The Big Heat, Sabrina, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Some Like it Hot, The Magnificent Seven, One-Eyed Jacks...

You see where this is going.

The new Blu-ray from Warner Archive is astoundingly beautiful. Perfect color, densities, grain. Gorgeous. I noted the tiniest bit of movement which makes the film look at a projected cinema image, rather than locked down digitally stable. It's derived for a beautifully produced IP.

It's not a great film, but it does allow a certain look inside the studio system c. 1936. And Ms Wood - lovely.

She has support from Christopher Plummer, Robert Redford, Ruth Gordon, and Roddy McDowall.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - You better believe it

Recommended

RAH

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
A truly terrible movie on so many levels. Sad to see Warner Bros wasting resources of this mess. With the MGM & Warner libraries to chose from their Blu-ray releases are usually, as in this case, sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks