1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Innerspace -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Is it just that scene or are there others?

2. Steen DK

Steen DK Stunt Coordinator

Steen
    Watched the film yesterday and the crackling is there throughout the entire film. Panasonic player, Denon amp, Beyerdynamic headphones. I don't notice it if I use speakers, but it's definitely there.

It sounds like a problem with the dynamic range, like if they used cheap microphones or something.

3. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    This was the first release in Dolby SR along with Robocop.

4. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

Not quite. Star Trek IV had a couple of 70 MM prints encoded with Dolby SR.

andySu likes this.
  5. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

I watched it tonight and heard no crackling, but I suspect this transfer might be from 2004 and not brand new. It just does not have the refined look of today's transfers concerning the appearance of grain. If it is brand new I would be rather shocked since some shots are heavily DNRed (such as the first shot with Kevin McCarthy) and others look somewhat "digitally molested" too (the first time I really noticed things looked not right were the first shots of Martin Short (at the doctor)). So this looks uneven. Mostly pretty good, and then not so much in between. From me only 3.5/5 for the image.

6. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

I disagree, I think it's a spanking new transfer BUT Warners have still decided to massage the grain on the opticals, and not subtly. Thing is, several scenes which don't have any opticals - both sequences with Jack being treated by his physician, as you said, plus the forced perspective stuff with the little rascals in the car - have also been given a thwack with the DNR stick and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Still, when it's good it's very good IMO.

Tino likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It always amazes me how much a discrepancy people grade every Blu-ray release. Very rarely does any BD release gets universal love without any "but" comments. I guess the old adage that you can't please everybody applies here.

atfree and Tino like this.
  8. Michel_Hafner

I agree it could be new because when it looks good it looks better than what a 2004 transfer should look like. But the use of DNR looks erratic to me and anything but state of the art grain management. The worst was the first shot of Kevin McCarthy in broad daylight. Why even mess with this shot???

9. Michel_Hafner

No, you can't. But personally I think expectations to make a film look unfilmlike and mess with the texture leaving artifacts behind are never justified and rather indefensible while insisting on a proper film look is the reasonable expectation. The inability to distinguish between them makes many opinions/reviews pointless from the start for people who want to see the film as it was made. (I'm not talking about Mr. Harris here, of course, who knows very well what a film should look like. He might have sampled the disc only or focused on the good parts as the really bad parts are few and far between.)

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Like Mr Harris, I think it looks and sounds terrific. I see no issues.

11. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Btw Crawdaddy, I believe Michel was agreeing with you in regards to you can't please everyone with his "No you can't comment ". I think. [emoji12]

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Thanks Tino, post deleted.

13. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I listened over it 5 times and even ran the region 2 DVD and all I can see on the RTA is same more less common frequency response the dialogue on the file, is at lower level but I tuned the fader up to match around the same as the DVD and nope sorry i'm afraid I can't hear any crackle.

[​IMG]

This is of the sample file. Its more less same as the region 2 DVD give or take a few cycle in speed up pitch but I'm not gonna split hairs over that.

Also did you take the recording from the players Dolby Lt Rt analog as it might not be on the analog and only on one or few of the channels on the digital dtsHDMA so you may have to stick the record lead on the AVR of one of the RCA outputs and record it that way as I'm again sorry no crackle sound on that sample.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile I prefer to stay with the DVD R2 Dolby Stereo Digital 5.1, no crackle no buzzing or digital clipping (that I have heard on other film transfers and worst one is on Ghostbusters II R2 DVD on the surround channels only).

Also crackle popping on Apollo 13 , during the launch scene that only lasts about 1 second on right surround channel and its on all transfers digital only! dts laserdisc to first pressings DVD R2 and R1, SE R2 DVD and HD-DVD and yes even bluray.

More snap crackle and pop on a scene from Armageddon on one of the surrounds I forget which surround channel? Not watched the film in a few years and its rather bad film, it happens when the Russian space station breaks up and piece of the of modules fulls towards one the space shuttles.

So you need to check again and make sure you recording off one of the digital tracks not the analog tracks.

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    There are no "analog" tracks on a Blu-ray.

Unless you're talking about the *player's* analog output.

15. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Yes there is analog Lt Rt and its useful for back-up and I have had some dodgy DVD Dolby digital 5.1 in the past that didn't like my AVR due to the AC-3 chip being a Motorola, and on 2 films Pearl Harbor, and The Untouchables SE DVD I got this pulse machine-gun like sound of raw static fluctuation of noise.

Well I later got the bluray of Pearl Harbor, fearing it would do the same noise on the Dolby digital or PCM 5.1 and nope all was clear. I got rid of The Untouchables for an early first pressing and no noise, so must be the way the encoding was done, strange one.

I've had other AVR's since my Kenwood AVR, the only noise I get today is the Onkyo TX-SR875 and odd dodgy bluray dtsHDMA bit bombs! Or rare Dolby TrueHD audio drop-outs. But I sussed out how to play TOTAL RECALL (2012) I use the players own decoder and 8ch out of 5.1 only to AVR and need only make a few switching adjustments for the one film that plays happily in Dolby TrueHD, other members say just switch the settings on the player so it resorts to PCM Dolby Digital that does work, but I use the players own decoder, glad I brought a player that has its own 8ch RCA, so I have back-up. And no bit-bombs when using the players own decoder.

16. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Its a door spring closer, that is attached to the door so they close rather than stay wide open, its suppose to sound that. You'd hear a lot of that in "T2" in the corridor scene before the shoot-out. Lots more clearer door squeaks Lydia, walks into the kitchen.

Bit of a fan of Dolby SR. UCI that I worked at donkey years ago had Dolby SRA5 Spectral Recording in all 10 screens with overhead surrounds mounted on the ceiling and the SR prints sounded nice.

I also John, your a bit of HPS-4000 fan. :) How many films you seen with the HPS-4000?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have my own Dolby SRA5 in the rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian Kidd and Dr Griffin like this.
  17. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Since its late and I watched this film countless times on VHS rental and only once at the Cannon screen 1 in 35mm Dolby Stereo A-type as the cinema was thinking of getting SR cards for its CP200 when I chatted to one of the projectionists and this was around early/mid 1990's Dolby SR cards wasn't cheap back then but today you can buy them cheap on eBay.

[​IMG]

Oh there is a bit of sound blooper on the mono surrounds only and if you mute the LCR and listen to the scene you can hear the tape mag track slipping or kind of jittery for 1 second and only on the discrete surrounds of the music track as the effects track sounds normal.

Odd the end credits on what I thought was mono surrounds as only a few handful 70mm Dolby ever had split surrounds, yet though my CP45 acting as EX I can hear some separation spread of "Twisting the Night Away" by Rod Stewart. i have sense of overhead and below surround and sidewall array surrounds. Yet all of Jerry Goldsmith score is mono on the surrounds only with sound effects.

Oh and another slip on the score track on surrounds at 1:37:30-31 well this was days of mag tracks, and not pro-tools, like today.

The car flying overhead onto the beach is above me on the height surrounds, Or if EX switched off along the sidewall surrounds in mono. The bass on the surrounds I can feel pressurizing my ears on chapter 30.

I like how they did the false perspective photography with mini Victor Scrimshaw, lol at the telephone box next to San Francisco bay, got the Cinefex article on the ILM effects nice read.

I can hear some the fine sound effects work by Mark A. Mangini (supervising sound editor), of same sound effect used in Star Trek IV in the federation complex a kinder of ding-dong sound effect, its heard at chapter 5, time 0:11:57:/58s LR front only, on region 2

The fight scene in Jack's apartment region 2, chapter 13, time 0:42:04 hints of Jerry Goldsmith score in stereo on the surrounds then other parts of it or musical element instruments are steered towards the overhead surrounds and other parts appear distant to on the side wall array surrounds.

Chapter 19, time 1:04:02-03 truck coming down road LCR passes by along left surround arrays then swoops around to with fast with it exiting the both surrounds to LCR.

The motorbike between Jack's legs only heard over the LCR with panned fast between LCR gives illusion. That was a crazy stunt.

18. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

I saw many films at the Century Plaza in Los Angeles with the HPS-4000 system. Unfortunately that theatre closed down and was demolished in 03.

When the sound was not tampered with, it was the finest sounding theatre. And being in LA, that is saying something.

19. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

What was the bass sub bass weight like did it have the feel of cats paws pressing into your chest?

20. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Hey, at least no one's called for a boycott of the BD due to this supposed flaw.

Yet! :lol: