Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris submitted a new blog post

A few words about...™ In the Heat of the Night re-dux (Criterion) - in Blu-ray
inheatofnight1554-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Did read somewhere that the original negative was lost or degraded beyond usability?

There was apparently some issues with color fade in the OCN, if memory serves, which is why the Academy of Motion Pictures did a photochemical restoration a decade or so ago.

But the negative was never "lost."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There was apparently some issues with color fade in the OCN, if memory serves, which is why the Academy of Motion Pictures did a photochemical restoration a decade or so ago.

But the negative was never "lost."

Unless the owner kept the OCN in a sauna, there should not be problems with a 1967 element

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Unless the owner kept the OCN in a sauna, there should not be problems with a 1967 element

Robert, I remember being at an Academy event years ago and they were saying how the color on the OCN had shifted and they had to call in the YCM's to assist with their restoration at the time.

I was surprised too. I can't imagine what may have happened that a 1967 Eastman negative was having color fade issues in the early 2000's.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Avoided purchasing this title in past because of video quality issues. Sounds like this was the release for which I have been waiting.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Watched the film tonight. I thought I would never ever see it looking like this. Great transfer and sound.
The first scene in the cafe took my breath away!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Nice. Have been considering the MGM BD for a while. Will rent one of the prior releases just for what appears to be the only supplement that didn't get ported over ("The Slap Heard 'Round the World") and move on with buy this Crit.

Given the number of A-list titles MGM-via-Fox has licensed for 1080 BD in the past year, it sure seems like a good portion of the jig is up regarding UHD BDs from MGM (at least for the next six or eight months?). I'd love to be surprised but I don't see Disney suddenly developing a passion for direct release of deep catalog on the format.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I noticed Grover Crisp’s name as transfer or telecine supervisor in the booklet. I thought he only did Columbia. Great transfer, the best I have seen. I only wish they included the original UA logo. Why can’t they have the new one followed by the original?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks