What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ I, Tonya -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I loved this film, mostly for the performances, but tech cannot be overlooked, as it affects those performances.

Margot Robbie was not only on the ice, but wore a producer's hat.

From an odd perspective, I would never have considered the possibility of a film, taking one of the most despised people in the country, and turning her into a modern folk hero, but that's what's been accomplished.

Superb face-replacement effects, beyond everything else digital that's occurring here.

Did I mention Allison Janney?

And a great supporting cast, Julianne Nicholson, Sebastian Stan, Bobby Canavale.

A terrific film, with a personality all its own.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Totally agree, low expectations, and enormously satisfying results. Can't recommend it more.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Really enjoyed it as well. One of those movies that if you didn't know it was true you would think..."No way!" I also thought they did an excellent job of making it look like Margot Robbie did the skating. (I know she did some, but certainly not the spins, jumps, etc.) Alison Janney is definitely over the top, but a real hoot as the mother. I must be sure to be extra nice to my mom when I see her next time, especially when I see what some people have to deal with. (Steak, anyone?)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My mother is not one of those women, thankfully.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the film and that the Blu-ray meets your technical standards.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
+1. As I mentioned in a couple other threads, this movie is not something I thought I was going to like, but I ended up coming out loving it, especially its unique and effective writing structure. The performances were terrific as well, but I feel this was overlooked for awards attention, at least nominations, in the screenplay category, just for how bold and original it style and perspectives were.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
+1. As I mentioned in a couple other threads, this movie is not something I thought I was going to like, but I ended up coming out loving it, especially its unique and effective writing structure. The performances were terrific as well, but I feel this was overlooked for awards attention, at least nominations, in the screenplay category, just for how bold and original it style and perspectives were.

Agreed. For a film with multiple unreliable narrators, it is exceptionally well-written. I just wish I could have seen fellow Drop Dead Gorgeous co-star Amy Adams' reaction to seeing Allison Janney win an Oscar before her.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Agreed. For a film with multiple unreliable narrators, it is exceptionally well-written. I just wish I could have seen fellow Drop Dead Gorgeous co-star Amy Adams' reaction to seeing Allison Janney win an Oscar before her.

Rather cryptic. Care to elaborate for those of us unfamiliar with the context?

Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Amy Adams has been nominated several times since then — IIRC that was her first film almost 20 years ago, if you can believe it — but hasn't won.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amy Adams deserves to have an Oscar, and sooner or later she will get one, but I don't think she would be anything but gracious and happy for Janey. From all the interviews and things I've seen with her over thee years, she seems to be a really nice, down-to-Earth person. And it's not like she even had a film in contention this year anyway, since her only film appearance in 2018 was in Justice League, and that was clearly not an awards contender for acting.

I would think her snub for Arrival last year was more of a shock than Janey winning this year.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Amy Adams deserves to have an Oscar, and sooner or later she will get one, but I don't think she would be anything but gracious and happy for Janey. From all the interviews and things I've seen with her over thee years, she seems to be a really nice, down-to-Earth person. And it's not like she even had a film in contention this year anyway, since her only film appearance in 2018 was in Justice League, and that was clearly not an awards contender for acting.

I would think her snub for Arrival last year was more of a shock than Janey winning this year.

"Janey"? Fonda wasn't nominated! ;)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I went into the film not having read much about it and not expecting the Rashomon effect, which I enjoyed greatly.

One person commented in another thread that he didn't like the fact that they had to use editing to make it appear that Margot Robbie did all the skating. I responded that I'm sure that the producers would have jumped at the opportunity if there were an actor who could both play Tonya Harding convincingly and land a triple axel.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I went into the film not having read much about it and not expecting the Rashomon effect, which I enjoyed greatly.

So many sitcoms used it as a plot device over the years, I was surprised when another movie used it effectively again, and an American movie no less.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I saw I, Tonya recently in the theatre and last week saw Lady Bird. Today a big box from Amazon.com arrived and both films were in it. I liked them both and both released thru Universal here in Australia. They both have a couple of things in common: Both Mums are rather neurotic and smoke and the girls are only sibling-less. The Irish star of Lady Bird was good in Brooklyn too but I only that on Blu Ray. I got the Churchill film and The Shape of Water today also. 7 days from order to Australia was excellent. Trouble was I got the DVD of Birdman of Alcatraz(original) instead of the Blu Ray. I get a credit for that and can keep it with free post when I order the Blu Ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

One person commented in another thread that he didn't like the fact that they had to use editing to make it appear that Margot Robbie did all the skating. I responded that I'm sure that the producers would have jumped at the opportunity if there were an actor who could both play Tonya Harding convincingly and land a triple axel.
Actually, I see their point about the editing. It always bothered me how they did that same type of editing in "Jaws", as I later learned that Robert Shaw was never actually eaten by the Bruce the Shark. Or how they lied to us through special effects and editing by trying to make us believe that Christopher Reeve's had actually done his own flying in "Superman"; let alone without an oxygen mask. Or even when they lied to us with "Titanic" by trying to make us believe that every actor was actually hurt, mamed or killed as the ship's stern rose straight up to the sky. In fact, one of my greatest of childhood scars occured when I learned that magician's never actually sawed people in half.
Yah, that type of deception really irks me to no end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks