What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ I Could Go On Singing -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ronald Neame's 1963 I Could Go On Singing, is an interesting, sometimes difficult film to watch, even more than half a century after its release.

Twilight Time has given it proper respect in their new Blu-ray, as they've added commentaries, in addition to their isolated track.

Released in March of 1963, and thereby disconnecting it by over six years from Miss Garland's death, it still, as the final example of her career captured on film, marks a difficult time in history, especially as her final number of film was created by Arlen and Harburg, who had written Over the Rainbow for her to perform at the outset of her career.

The HD master provided by MGM is a quality affair, with proper grain structure, resolution and steadiness. Bits of minus density can be seen, but they actually help create a more nominal film-like appearance. Color is generally in place, with the exception of some facial tonalities, which may turn out to be the byproduct of make-up. Bottom line. No problems.

Director Neame, is historically best known for his relationship as partner in Cineguild, the powerhouse UK production company that created some of David Lean's finest work, and for which Mr. Neame wore multiple hats on different occasions -- producer, director of photography, writer...

To many, he will always be remembered for The Poseidon Adventure, but beyond his work with Cineguild, I favor The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, also available from Twilight Time.

I could give you the backstory, in chapter and verse about the interrelationships and internal problems with this film, but as usual, Julie Kirgo has performed that task in a superior manner.

For those who cherish Judy Garland, I Could Go On Singing, is a cinematic epitaph.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I always wanted to get the DVD but that never happened. Now there's a Blu-ray of it.
Never dreamed that this title would find its way on BD.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's here! I cheated by briefly looking at a few scenes, as is my wont. REALLY happy to have this. As best I recall, I never went to see it even though I was going to a lot of movies in those years. (I certainly knew who Judy Garland was and I absolutely remember seeing A Child is Waiting -- but never this one, which strikes me as odd.) The BD looks and sounds wonderful.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I'm with Thomas above. Can't believe this made it to blu and that the quality is good. I have the DVD and the picture quality was not great. This is still the only film that gives some idea of what it was like when Garland performed live and it is worth getting for those numbers alone. "By Myself" is a powerhouse!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm with Thomas above. Can't believe this made it to blu and that the quality is good. I have the DVD and the picture quality was not great. This is still the only film that gives some idea of what it was like when Garland performed live and it is worth getting for those numbers alone. "By Myself" is a powerhouse!
You must have read the first sentence of my review!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The cows have finally come home - I Could Go On Singing is now on Blu-ray. This is a major piece of the puzzle for this Garland completist.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The original DVD was a flipper (with a letterboxed print on one side and Pan/Scan on the other), so I'm sure the Blu-ray is the only way to go.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am really glad to have this available to watch again. I have not seen it since a CBS movie night back in the late 60's. It look great.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Glad this is out, and apparently done properly, as TT tends to do. I had the letterboxed VHS years back, when it was still a rarity to see anything in OAR, and played it often. It's more of a drama with musical segments, much like A Star Is Born or Love Me or Leave Me, and it's fairly raw in spots especially in the scenes which intentionally parallel Garland's life.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Watched it last night. Looks great...never looked better. A very compelling unsentimental film. Thank you TT!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks