What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ House - Two Stories -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The two House films, which share nothing but the title, are horror/comedies, that have gathered enough of a following over the decades to enchant Arrow to create a mega-release boxed set, packed with extras and a book.

Not a monograph, or a few pages stapled together, but a hard cover book.

With a street price (Amazon) of $38, it's one of those offers that fans may not be able to refuse.

Both films have been scanned at 2k from IPs, and per the marketing, "restored." I've never been against film restoration, but there simply isn't a great deal to be done when working with a decently produced timed IP.

That noted, both films are clean and look nice. As I recall, and I may be mis-remembering, these were never dark films, and the requisite Blu-rays are far brighter than one might expect a "horror" title to be. In fact, if I didn't know the films at all, I'd probably think they were CBS Movies of the Week.

I believe that both films were released mono, but the viewer can select between the original mono tracks, 2-track stereo (possibly used on earlier home video release), or a new 5.1. It's all in the ear of the beholder, but I applaud Arrow for giving the options.

Bottom line, this is another quality release from Arrow, at a fair price. Even the plastic cases which hold the discs are of a higher quality, here equalling the thickness of the book. Not ecologically friendly, but nice.

Do the films stand the test of time. More or less, but still fun.

And those new to the films, may be surprised to find Bill Maher in 2.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also pre-ordered this set, and Mr. Harris recommendation sets me at ease, as I never saw the so-called sequel and wondered if I should get this set or not. I'm glad I pulled the trigger and expect to be delivered tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks