What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ House of Cards: Volume Four -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If you like your Shakespeare multi-layered, and finely honed, you'll appreciate the fourth gathering of those behind House of Cards, as published on Blu-ray by Sony.

Technically, it's an odd one, both from a cable as well as home video aspect, as the ratio is set at an unusual 2.0:1 -- shades of SuperScope.

While the overall look, especially in the fourth season, is extremely low key, with not too subtle overlays of sepia, to calm the imagery, unless we're outdoors, it all works.

Shot with Red cameras, upgraded to larger sensors as the seasons progress, the final result is currently a 4k DI, while it began at 2k. Once we get to the point of a final released complete series, hopefully, Sony will take advantage of 4k, and release as such.

Overall, superb programming, with Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright at the helm. Actually, in more ways than might be expected, as Ms Wright has directed, quite beautifully, four of the episodes in Season 4.

The single negative, and if I could give negative points for it, I would, is the packaging, for which a special took should be included to aid in disc removal without damage or fingerprints. Twice, I was forced to shut down, remove a disc, clean and start up again. Shouldn't happen.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Thanks Robert. A terrific show from Netflix.
BTW, for those who may not know, there is a season 5 coming. Really looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks