Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris submitted a new blog post

A few words about...™ Hitchcock BIP Collection & Murder - in Blu-ray
herbert-marshall-centre-with-cane-and-edward-chapman-with-binoculars-in-murder-1930-dir-alfred-hitchcock-1024x707.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just saw all these titles earlier this year in poor quality discs. So I’m curious to revisit them on these newly made discs. I’ll be curious I end up liking some of the titles better.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just watched Kino's Blu-ray of "Murder!" Here is the perfect example of why the correct masking should be used for an early talkie with a 1.19:1 aspect ratio and not "open-matte" 1.33:1 which this presentation is.

Left side crew equipment visible:
Murder1.jpg

Left side edge of set visible (this is supposed to be a small enclosed prison visiting/interrogation room):
Murder2.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just watched Kino's Blu-ray of "Murder!" Here is the perfect example of why the correct masking should be used for an early talkie with a 1.19:1 aspect ratio and not "open-matte" 1.33:1 which this presentation is.

View attachment 69267

Left side edge of set visible (this is supposed to be a small enclosed prison visiting/interrogation room):
View attachment 69268

Agreed. Quite correct.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary

View attachment 69267

View attachment 69268
Has this been reported to Kino? They should fix it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Has this been reported to Kino? They should fix it.

I’ll ask.

As an aside, seeing the matte open, can be quite educational. Some filmmakers protected, while some did not. Hitchcock and De Mille are among them.
Honestly I only posted the images for educational purposes. I didn't want people to pile on to Kino, as they tend not to respond well to criticism. It's really a minor issue, as those were the only two shots I even noticed that had things revealed that you weren't supposed to see. I think the next time I watch the movie, I will use my projector's blanking feature to mask about 140 pixels on the left side of the image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks