What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ High Noon - Olive Signature -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fred Zinnemann's High Noon, is one of my favorite films.

Always has been. Always will be.

Photographed in black & white, and self-limited to a running time, equating to real time, it's an excursion into the perfection of our cinema heritage.

Well, almost.

One thing has troubled me about it, and taken me out of the film, since I received a basic history in clothing. And that's Grace Kelly's dress. But I doubt that it will bother anyone else.

Produced by Stanley Kramer, from a screenplay by Carl Foreman, and a score by Dimitri Tiomkin, it's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, and the entire supporting cast are letter perfect.

I've got to be honest. There are so many instances of newly minted home video skews, and departmentalized labeling, that I initially perceived Olive Films new Signature series as a potential ruse -- possibly using the same old transfer, de-sparkled, and brought out again.

Before viewing a bit of the new High Noon, I reacquainted myself the the previous Olive Blu-ray release, warts and all.

Never really problematic, at least when viewed from a reasonable distance, it was never a proper offering of a great film on home video.

Stagnant grain during the main title sequence, an occasional scratch during the body of the film. It was okay, but not something that I was able to applaud.

With that in mind, it was a distinct pleasure to see the main title sequence, without shadows around high contrast areas, and with a grain structure, that possibly not perfect, was head and shoulders over the previous incarnation. Double-Checking, I found the errant positive scratch on the right side of the frame as the gent from he train station runs into town with news...

Gone.

Black levels, far better. Detail, better. Just overall a far nicer presentation.

One of the great films, finally on Blu-ray in a respectful manner.

Bottom line.

When Olive tells you, they're coming out with a new Signature version of one of their previous releases, or a new title, sit up and take notice.

Especially with their new special features, they're making a move to enter Criterion territory, and I wish them well.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Upgrade potential - Yes

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Thanks, RAH! Very relieved to read this glowing review of the disc quality of one of my all-time favourite films.

I couldn't resist pre-ordering this, together with Johnny Guitar (both double-dips), once the price plummeted. I was sceptical, but hoping to see your reviews before release date - ready to cancel the order if need be. Very pleased that I won't need to.

Looking forward to reading your reviews of the other upcoming titles in the Signature series. This bodes well for other titles I've pre-ordered: Strategic Air Command, One of Our Aircraft is Missing and Pimpernel Smith.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Thank god.

FYI with a list price of $40, Amazon is currently selling this for $17 to price match a Best Buy sale...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
She looks a bit high falootin for a Quaker girl
003-high-noon-theredlist.jpg

High_Noon1.JPG

Perhaps Mr. Harris' design would be more along these lines ;)
8d6d8264a8cd09279e36f589686516ce.jpg

quaker1900.jpg

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm so happy to hear this. This is also one of my favorites and I'm glad to finally have a good presentation of it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've been happy with all my versions of High Noon.
Thanks for the positive review, Robert ... I've ordered with confidence, and of course, living in Australia with such a shocking exchange rate at present, I've especially benefited from Amazon's sudden slash in price.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
One thing has troubled me about it, and taken me out of the film, since I received a basic history in clothing. And that's Grace Kelly's dress. But I doubt that it will bother anyone else.
Yes, I always wished that this film had been directed by someone with more devotion to historical accuracy in his presentations of his leading ladies like Howard Hawks, but it's still a great one!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yes, I always wished that this film had been directed by someone with more devotion to historical accuracy in his presentations of his leading ladies like Howard Hawks, but it's still a great one!
And Claudette Colbert's scenes in Ford's Drums Along the Mohawk had an almost a cinema verite quality to them

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Phew. I'm breathing a lot easier, now.

Just ordered.
Congratulations, Olive !!!:drum:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks