What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hello, Dolly! -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
ahollis said:
It's a shame those numbers were cut and basically lost.

More than a shame, it's a downright "puzzlement" as to how they would have been thrown away at as late a date as 1970. These were STREISAND numbers directed by Vincente Minnelli that NO ONE thought they might be able to use at a later date for any reason? It never made any sense to me as they were basically discarded at the 11th hour and what...burned??? It seems either vindictive or they actually do exist somewhere and no one has come across them as of yet.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
MatthewA said:
That was a Scaasi? I thought it was a Charles Schulz!

the Schulz is more understated!

snoopy-flying_1382319887754_1129575_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

My... NAME... is... Snoopy... Tentrees!!!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Jim*Tod said:
I saw Channing onstage in HELLO DOLLY in 1967 from the highest balcony of the Mosque theater here in Richmond. You could read her every gesture and expression. She really could project and she also knew how to hold an audience in her hand. Truly amazing and an example of the magic of live theater and what a star performance can be.

But... on film... and especially if the director doesn't know how to help a performer scale down their performance for film, this can be horrifying. I remember seeing MILLIE on a large screen with a big audience and people actually kinda recoiled when she was onscreen... she was just too much.

Too bad as I think with the right director she would have been wonderful on film.

Both mediums have qualities that work and don't work.

Totally agree! Channing is amazing live. I saw the 1978 Broadway revival of Dolly during my high school spring break and sat first row center balcony. I felt she was looking me directly in the eye during her entire performance. It was an incredible experience and that was a pretty incredible trip as I look back on it. On that same trip I saw, The Act starring Liza Minnelli, Yul Brynner in the revival of The King and I and the original production of On the Twentieth Century with Madeline Kahn before she departed the show.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I attended the 70MM screening of the film at the Billy Wilder theater in LA last month. The print was beautiful - it didn't have the blown out whites of the blu-ray and the sky was blue. Some of you should have gone - it was quite an experience and you would know what you're missing

Now please, since none of you were there, don't tell what what I saw and didn't see - which is the main reason I hardly ever come to this site anymore

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
GMpasqua said:
I attended the 70MM screening of the film at the Billy Wilder theater in LA last month. The print was beautiful - it didn't have the blown out whites of the blu-ray and the sky was blue. Some of you should have gone - it was quite an experience and you would know what you're missing

Now please, since none of you were there, don't tell what what I saw and didn't see - which is the main reason I hardly ever come to this site anymore

I believe you and I think it may have been the same print that I saw some years ago.

It is a fact that the Blu-ray looks very different from the print I saw and that print had been produced completely in the analog realm so it is in my opinion a better representative of what Hello, Dolly! would have looked like when it was released for the first time in 70mm.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Will Krupp said:
More than a shame, it's a downright "puzzlement" as to how they would have been thrown away at as late a date as 1970. These were STREISAND numbers directed by Vincente Minnelli that NO ONE thought they might be able to use at a later date for any reason? It never made any sense to me as they were basically discarded at the 11th hour and what...burned??? It seems either vindictive or they actually do exist somewhere and no one has come across them as of yet.
"Clear Day" producer Howard W. Koch had a search for the footage done in 1994. He wanted to use the "Who is There Among Us.." song at the AFI tribute to Jack Nicholson. Koch asked Streisand and Minnelli's widow if they had the cut footage but neither did. Koch felt that if the film still existed it was probably in a mislabeled film canister.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
DP 70 said:
This must have been the same 70mm/DTS print I saw in Bradford and it was fab on the Cinerama screen.

I was there, too, and I saw it again in Washington, D.C. the following year. Now if only it would come to Northern California again.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Eric Vedowski said:
"Clear Day" producer Howard W. Koch had a search for the footage done in 1994. He wanted to use the "Who is There Among Us.." song at the AFI tribute to Jack Nicholson. Koch asked Streisand and Minnelli's widow if they had the cut footage but neither did. Koch felt that if the film still existed it was probably in a mislabeled film canister.

It turns out Will was right: it was much closer to 20 minutes than 60, and as a matter of fact, there was a 143-minute answer print screened for critics.

allanfisch

Agent
Real Name
Allan
"Someone ought to open up a window."

Here we go again. Unbelievable really. You bump this two year-old thread for what reason? The caps herein, as has been pointed out by several, are YELLOW and don't reflect the transfer at ALL. And the skies in his caps are not white, they're YELLOW - take away the yellow and what do you get? Blue, in those specific shots. In other shots the day is obviously overcast as has been proven to you over and over and over and over and over, and which you will always ignore, for whatever reasons. The Blu-ray has glorious blue skies where there were blue skies, and white skies where there were white skies. All those specific shots were pointed out to you in other threads and there were examples of them.

are you guys comparing the screen captures from this thread and the video from the actual disc on a computer or the same monitor? The HD version I have on my computer DOES look yellow. As the negative for this film is nearly fifty years old, this very well could be the case if the negative negative has faded perceptibly. Don't forget that a television has a different color space than a computer monitor. I have not seen this on a television. For that i have the remastered laserdisc at this point in time.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I saw Hello Dolly! Three weeks in a row in 70MM at the New Theatre downtown Baltimore,Md. If the Blu-Ray doesn't look as close to the 70mm I saw it is very close. I am completely satisfied with it. Not that I wouldn't buy the 4k Ultra Blu-Ray! The New was torned down in 2014. I wonder if they removed the DP 70-35 projector? They seem to be a hot item in Europe. Saw it during it's RoadShow in 1969. Tidbit Barbara S. was knocked down twice trying to enter for the world premier in NY city, and she said will never go to a premier again.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]There has been quite a bit of discussion recently regarding the future of home entertainment, and specifically 4k;If it ever occurs, and by that I don't refer to faux 4k, but rather a disc running full 4096, Hello, Dolly! should be on the first short list of product to be released. This master is that good.[...]
It was April 12, 2013 when RAH wrote this above quote in "A Few Words About..."Hello, Dolly! -- in Blu-ray".
The future is here. I sure do hope that we are getting closer to seeing its release on a 4K/UHD disc.:)

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It was April 12, 2013 when RAH wrote this above quote in "A Few Words About..."Hello, Dolly! -- in Blu-ray".
The future is here. I sure do hope that we are getting closer to seeing its release on a 4K/UHD disc.:)

Yes, since I finally have a 4k HDR tv, I'd like to see it this way.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
On a Clear Day...you can cut forever.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks