What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
When discussing any Fox Technicolor film from the nitrate era, expectations are to lowered - measurably.

Extant film elements allow the films to appear never as they did, but rather, anywhere from impermissible to nice, while never able to hit anywhere near perfection.

Ernst Lubitsch's 1943 Heaven Can Wait is fortunately one of those productions that hits the high side of the spectrum, which is fortunate, as it's one of the studio's most important three-strip productions.

It arrives via The Criterion Collection.

Don Ameche is one of his best roles, along with the incomparable Gene Tierney, lead a stellar cast of Fox contract players, in a production that stands the test of time - in spades.

Screenplay by Samson Raphelson.

Score by Alfred Newman.

Photographed by Edward Cronjager.

Short of screening an original print, this is as close to the film as one might get, and while it's not close enough, it allows viewers to see through the haze of poor elements, and get a very decent idea of what once was a magnificent Technicolor production.

Thanks to Fox, The Academy and The Film Foundation for their labor and support in bringing Heaven Can Wait back to a far more than acceptable standard.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am grateful that Fox is able to inch closer to their Technicolor glory in Blu-ray transfers like this, My Gal Sal, Blood and Sand, Leave Her to Heaven, but I guess I can never quite forgive them for being SO shortsighted.

None of the "them" have been with the company for decades.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is one of my favorite films. So glad to hear it's on the high side of acceptable. The DVD was difficult to watch, although the performances are so knowing and charming, that one did get pulled in. Apparently, this was D.W. Griffith's favorite color film.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The color 'design' of this film is amazing. It was the first Lubitsch film I ever saw. I like it almost as much as 'The Shop Around the Corner'...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This is one of my favorite films. So glad to hear it's on the high side of acceptable. The DVD was difficult to watch, although the performances are so knowing and charming, that one did get pulled in. Apparently, this was D.W. Griffith's favorite color film.
I'm sure you saw the 35mm nitrate Tech print shown at MoMA. Now THAT was an unforgettable experience.

Reactions: PMF

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well since this has Don Ameche, onto my shopping list this goes as a blind buy. Hoping Don works some of his schlock from The Bickersons radio show into this film.

A little surprised to learn that the 1978 Warren Beatty Heaven Can Wait film is not a remake (except in name only) of this film.

The 1978 movie is however, a remake of the 1941 classic Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941). Both films have my interest.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Another Ernst and earnest effort from Criterion.:)

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ernest agrees!

full

By the way, I just ordered the Blu of The Importance of Being Earnest from Amazon.uk!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Gene Tierney lived in a fancy apartment complex in Houston (on Willowick), and I always heard from people that you could drop off a portrait photo from a film of hers at the desk in the lobby, and come back a few days later, and she would have signed it for you. Thought about doing that several times, when I was in town and driving by that place. But I never did. Now all these years have gone by, and I rather wish I'd taken the time to do so.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Has there ever been anyone more beautiful that Gene Tierney? And seeing her at her zenith in Technicolor is worth the purchase.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Much quoted and eternally true. She may be the most beautiful woman to you, but not so to many others whose tastes are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks