What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
And trust me, "As soon as possible" being the key phrase here. They are pretty limited allotments anyway, but once the last batch of them sells, they are gone that is it.

Best, for those interested, to get on the Value list.

And I’ll make the point again, toward transparency, that I paid full price for my unit.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
What does 'first timer' have to do with it? He's recommending a certain Panasonic, that's all.
Glad you are made out of money. We all can't afford the 9000. I was just asking about an entry level player and he had mentioned his dislike for the Samsung.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Glad you are made out of money. We all can't afford the 9000. I was just asking about an entry level player and he had mentioned his dislike for the Samsung.

Plenty of entry level 4k players out there - and at discounts.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Mr. Harris does the player include the feature subtitle shift allowing the user to move the subtitles up or down? Also is the player limited to region "A". Thank you.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mr. Harris does the player include the feature subtitle shift allowing the user to move the subtitles up or down? Also is the player limited to region "A". Thank you.
Mr. Harris will have to address the subtitle issue, but I can tell you that region-free players do not come directly from the manufacturer. They are modified and sold by third party companies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I’m finding nothing in the manual that details the function. One would have to try it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The UHD format does not including region coding so any UHD disc from anywhere in the world should work on any player anywhere.

But regular Blu-ray is still region locked, so that part of the player will be locked to whatever region you purchased it in. The Blu-ray spec does not allow manufacturers to make or market region free players. That’s why all region-free players are modified by third parties and not by the manufacturer directly.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I’m finding nothing in the manual that details the function. One would have to try it.

If this assists. I have the Panny 900 which was the predecessor to the 9000, one 820 and two 420s as backups. None of these players will do subtitle shift. And none are region hacked for Blu. I use the Oppo 203 for that which I hacked for multi region. After a lot of chopping and changing i now have the 420 as main feed for the PJ (Ottoma UHD65) because I think it gives the best tweaking options and the most refined UHD picture. I dont have Dolby Vidion available on the PJonly HDR@0 plus. At one stage the 420s were discounted here for not much over 200 bucks.

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So for my lg OLED the 820 is perfectly fine right? Don’t plan on getting a projector any time soon.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Also is the player limited to region "A". Thank you.

It is a Region A player for DVD and Blu-ray, with no modification available to make it region-free. 4K UHD discs, of course, have no region coding.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
So for my lg OLED the 820 is perfectly fine right? Don’t plan on getting a projector any time soon.

The UB820 HDR Optimizer has four settings. Here's what that settings screen looks like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HDR TV TYPE

-OLED
-Super High Luminance LCD
-Middle or High Luminance LCD
-Basic Luminance LCD and Projector

It is generally recommended that you select "Middle or High Luminance LCD when
using a compatible HDR LCD TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is that the UB9000 includes a fifth option for projectors with a lower luminance than Basic. Plus the ability to accept 'custom curves' for the expensive JVC projectors.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Per my Panasonic 9000

DA76AA63-B8B4-4D42-9A9E-D90B2FB8536D.jpeg

Reactions: PMF

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Yep works for some studios not others

Eg I can play USA criterion’s and many Japanese blu rays on my Australian Panasonic 9000

Others I can’t (eg many USA fox titles)

This is the hack I assume you mean ?

. EF512EC1-1A09-4279-96F5-3910C3A55940.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks