What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hawaii -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With a screenplay by Dalton Trumbo and Daniel Taradash, George Roy Hill's Hawaii, may find interest from multiple arenas.

Based upon the monumental novel by James A. Michener, Hawaii was a roadshow production, blown up to 70mm for some venues.

The film used to have scenes of beauty, especially once it reaches the islands, but unfortunately, it was never a great film.

Twilight Time, as a licensee of MGM, must use what they're given, or not. In this case, what they've been allowed to release essentially removes many of the attributes that the film once held.

The major one would be the cinematography by Russell Harlan (To Kill a Mockingbird, Red River).

What I'm seeing on the Blu-ray appears to be typical MGM fodder. While the Roadshow version, which appears on the disc as an extra, albeit in standard definition as a 2.35 image inside of a 1.33 box, that longer cut also appears to be derived from original Eastman Color elements.

Something that it seems the HD version, or at least a number of it's parts is not.

Going to black & white separation masters is a normal affair if an original negative is lost or damaged, but since the resultant dupe is a composite of three black & white records, the idea is to get them in registration. This has seemingly eluded whatever lab created the new element. If adjustments need to be made, even shot to shot, they need to be made. It ain't brain surgery.

Unfortunately, the film is simply dupey looking, with requisite MGM dirt and instability of image.

Hawaii is a film worth viewing, and this is the only way to do so, at least for the foreseeable future.

No fingers being pointed at Twilight Time. All of the problems stem with MGM, and their eternal penchant for quality, as that lion continues to roar.

Image - 3

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 2.5

Pass / Fail - Pass (barely)

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder what results might come were Twilight Time, and all others who produce and distribute BD's, just simply decided to halt all future negotiations with MGM; until the message gets to Barber.

"No quality - no money".

Not another red cent.

I fear I already know the answer to that.

I fear that such an idea would only prove to be counter-productive to film preservation and its movement.

But if I'm wrong, then let the boycott begin.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I haven't seen it, but I'm surprised Twilight Time bothered if the transfer was so poor. I am now on the fence about a purchase. So the roadshow sounds like it is non-anamorphic.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I love the roadshow version of this film. I spot checked the blu-ray this morning, both versions, and it is what it is. It's hardly horrible. The quality of the theatrical cut (HD) looks better to me than, say, Titus. But of course, that's comparing apples to oranges. For fans of the film, this is the best version we're going to see for a while. At least we also get the great Elmer Bernstein isolated score as well. It's one of my favorites of his.

And as with Titus, I'd rather have it available this way than not at all.

As an aside, I also noticed a second scene with Bette Midler for the first time. I had always spotted her as a seasick passenger on the boat during the crossing, but today I noticed her standing next to Gene Hackman when Jocelyn LaGarde first boards the ship and meets the missionaries upon their arrival in Lahaina.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just got this one in, will be checking out the Blu shortly.

I have "read" James Michener's book via cassette so I have some idea of what to expect but as far as the movie goes, this is a blind buy.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
warnerbro said:
Will there be something better coming along soon or is this the best we're going to get?

It's from MGM, so I wouldn't bet on it. We're lucky to even have what we've been given.

Dr Griffin said:
So the roadshow sounds like it is non-anamorphic.

To be fair, Twilight Time was upfront about the roadshow transfer being non-anamorphic from the beginning.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I suspect that MGM will change when their ownership or executives change.

We forget that 25 years ago, Columbia was the worst studio for LD's. Then that changed somewhat, and after Sony bought it, the situation changed more.

The only issue is whether the elements will last long enough to outlive the tenure of the executive team.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
There are two schools of thought on these kind of situations. 1) if the transfer isn't up to HD standards, don't bother! or 2) if this is the best we're going to get, so be it. It's the old glass half empty/half full argument. I'm with the half full camp.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I might not mind paying $14.99 for half full, but...

Gary Barber's Movie Studio should not be rewarded in the least for the reprehensible handling of their titles.

I hate feeling like a schmuck, and paying for the privilege, but I won't try to tell people what to spend their money on.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Thomas T said:
There are two schools of thought on these kind of situations. 1) if the transfer isn't up to HD standards, don't bother! or 2) if this is the best we're going to get, so be it. It's the old glass half empty/half full argument. I'm with the half full camp.
My thinking is this: I have the DVD and I have the roadshow laserdisc, so I don't need this Blu-Ray though I don't blame Twilight Time.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
To be fair, guys, the transfer of the shorter version in HD is really not that bad - if it was we would have passed. As you know we have passed on many MGM/UA titles that other labels have subsequently released, and we feel this transfer is par for the course with the general low quality we have come to expect from this studio. The roadshow version is another matter - standard-def, non-anamorphic - effectively a port of the laserdisc - but we all knew that going in - there will be no better transfer of this film in the foreseeable future - that is practically guaranteed. This is definitely a case of making the best of what we have than holding off for some never-to-be nirvana.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Twilight Time said:
To be fair, guys, the transfer of the shorter version in HD is really not that bad - if it was we would have passed. As you know we have passed on many MGM/UA titles that other labels have subsequently released, and we feel this transfer is par for the course with the general low quality we have come to expect from this studio. The roadshow version is another matter - standard-def, non-anamorphic - effectively a port of the laserdisc - but we all knew that going in - there will be no better transfer of this film in the foreseeable future - that is practically guaranteed. This is definitely a case of making the best of what we have than holding off for some never-to-be nirvana.
Believe me, if I don't have the DVD and the laserdisc I am all over your Blu-Ray. I saw "Hawaii" in the theatre with my mom, and I love that movie, so I'm probably all over your Blu-Ray regardless.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Thomas T said:

I'm in the glass half full camp as well. Warner, if you're listening, I'd take a 3/5 Raintree County any day. ;)

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Twilight Time said:

Just watched the disc this evening, and I'm more than happy with what you've provided us with! It's satisfying to have the roadshow cut in a format that doesn't require multiple disc flips or routing the video signal through multiple units to my TV. For all this, you have my most sincere thanks, TT!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Saw the first sneak preview of this in Minneapolis, way back when. I wonder how long that was. In any event, I just received my

copy of the Twilight Time release, and can't wait to watch the Roadshow version. By the way ... Minneapolis was once the
"Go To Town" for Sneak previews. I still recall seeing the Streisand A STAR IS BORN. It didn't fare well that night ... constant

outbreaks of derisive laughter, especially during the Hold Up The Matches ending. I'd love to compare what I saw that night

with the eventual release ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks