What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Harvey -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
John Hodson said:
James Stewart told me.
I'm honestly curious and not trying to be snarky. RAH, Kevin Koster, and you have all mentioned 6'8". I'll have to rewatch (as if I needed an excuse).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
JamesNelson said:
I'm honestly curious and not trying to be snarky. RAH, Kevin Koster, and you have all mentioned 6'8". I'll have to rewatch (as if I needed an excuse).
Listen to the James Stewart intro again; Harvey's real full height is revealed... :)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In text, Harvey is something like 6'3". But Jimmy Stewart was that height (or thereabouts and he needed to look up to see his friend.) Therefore, he reset Harvey's height accordingly. Harvey of course has had no comment on the matter, but I am told he appreciated Stewart's efforts in this area.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
In text, Harvey is something like 6'3".  But Jimmy Stewart was that height (or thereabouts and he needed to look up to see his friend.)  Therefore, he reset Harvey's height accordingly.  Harvey of course has had no comment on the matter, but I am told he appreciated Stewart's efforts in this area.
Oh dad-gum that's funny. And oh so appropriate from Kevin. Thanks

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Old man - you were right. I watched the BD of this tonight and the uplift from DVD is enormous.
In cliched terms - I saw things in this film that I hadn't in >100 viewings.
To understand how the cash-strapped unwashed public thinks (not to forward myself as champion) - I have >300 dvds of movies

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by RobHam /t/323217/a-few-words-about-harvey-in-blu-ray/30#post_3999540
Old man - you were right. I watched the BD of this tonight and the uplift from DVD is enormous.
In cliched terms - I saw things in this film that I hadn't in >100 viewings.
To understand how the cash-strapped unwashed public thinks (not to forward myself as champion) - I have >300 dvds of movies

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
What you're buying is a 2k, wet-gate, pin-registered scan, from the original nitrate negative...
of a beautifully shot film.
Shot btw, by William Daniels, who was working as early as 1917.  Camera operator on Blind Husbands (1919), Cinematographer on Foolish Wives (1922)...
and a few more titles to make the point.
Greed, The Merry Widow, Flesh and the Devil, Love, Queen Kelly, Anna Christie, Mata Hari, Grand Hotel, Dinner at Eight, Queen Christina (we need that one on Blu-ray), Camille, Ninotchka, The Shop Around the Corner, For Me and My Gal, The Canterville Ghost, The Naked City, Winchester '73, Strategic Air Command, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, How the West Was Won, Von Ryan's Express...
He knew his way around a camera and film stock.
And very nice work from Universal.
RAH
I would really like to see The Merry Widow and Foolish Wives on Blu-Ray - these were sumptuous productions.
Lots of great movies on that list and one of the very few movies that was actually exhibited in 8-perf, Strategic Air Command!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I came to realize that I have not seen "Harvey" since the days of VHS.
Even in the VHS format, "Harvey" had always stuck with me; but with the advent of "The Philadelphia Story" being released in November by Criterion - with a 4K scan from a recently discovered OCN, no less - I came to wonder if "Harvey" had ever been released on BD.
And it was. Must have missed this major entry while overseas, within that year of its BD release.

Anyway, "Harvey" arrives next week and I can't wait to see it anew;
as apparently Universal has pulled a rabbit out of its hat,
at least that's the tale, according to the rest and RAH's review.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks