What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Greystoke The Legend of Tarzan Lord of the Apes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I recall first seeing Greystoke, Hugh Hudson's highly detailed, huge-budgeted and beautiful retelling of the Tarzan story, at the Gomillion screening room. It was a 70mm screening print, and probably the first to be struck from the negative.

The 6-track stereo was amazing.

The experience was unforgettable.

Now, almost three decades later, courtesy of The Warner Bros. Archive Collection, I can pop a one ounce disc into my Oppo and relive that experience, albeit on a slightly smaller screen.

Before going into any discussion of the film or Blu-ray, kudos must be paid to Rick Baker, who (as he had before) created the apes for Greystoke, taking what had been learned before and moving the art forward.

One of the more interesting things is that rather than going for generic gorillas, he and his team created pseudo-apes, allowing for more audience recognition of the ape characters, as well as the ability to follow them as they age.

There is a great article on Mr. Baker and his work in Cinefex Number 16. Seek it out for further details. For those who enjoy film, but are not Cinefex subscribers...

Photographed by the great John Alcott in Super Techniscope (35/3), scanning the original elements created some minor problems for the WB team, as grain was generally accentuated, and the layers of smoke, fog and mist occasionally seen in the film, could become problematic. For those who have been waiting for Greystoke to hit retail, I'm betting that massaging these details may have been the hold-up.

The final result is nothing short of amazing.

Perfect color, density, shadow detail, grain structure, black levels... all in place.

Audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 is as superb as it ever was, which is very superb.

The film was edited by Anne V. Coates, who is known for some other work in the UK a bit earlier.

A glorious Blu-ray presentation of a brilliant film, from the director who brought us Chariots of Fire.

As to the WB Archive Collection, if they went public, I'd be on line buying shares.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
And it has a dream of an underscore composed by John Scott who also incorporated some Elgar into his score for added authenticity.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Having never seen this film I've been sort of on the fence with it thinking it's a tongue-in-cheek sendup of the old films (don't know what led me to that conclusion) but a rousing endorsement from Mr. Harris is more than enough to convince me to spring for a copy. Can't help but think, though, that a film like this probably deserves a special edition but this seems fine for now. Now if Warner would only fast-track that long MIA release of FEARLESS.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Stephen_J_H said:
If only WB Archive shipped to Canada.......*sigh*

Have you tried Importcds.com? I got my copy of Greystoke from them (it was $5 cheaper than Amazon). Don't know if they ship to Canada but they very well might.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
I thoroughly recommend Importcds.com for UK folk. I get all of my Olive and Scream Factory releases through them.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
I thoroughly recommend Importcds.com for UK folk. I get all of my Olive and Scream Factory releases through them.
Will they put the value as under £15 even if it's more or do they pay all taxes for you. ?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
FoxyMulder said:
Will they put the value as under £15 even if it's more or do they pay all taxes for you. ?
Unsure on this. Their website claims that all items are shipped from the U.S. via DHL Globalmail, and that they are subject to customs fees.

But, every single one of my orders (all sub-£15 single item orders) have been delivered by Royal Mail, with a UK return address. All have arrived in 5-6 working days. So I think they must have some of their stock in the U.K. already, but I have yet to risk placing a greater than £15 order with them to really test them out.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Yes, this looks as I remember it in the theater in '84. It has been a favorite of mine since. Warner needs to step up it's Archive Blu-ray output if Greystoke is an indication of the quality we can expect. It seems they took their time with this and had a couple delays, but they got it right.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
FoxyMulder said:
I've just ordered Greystoke from ImportCd's for $14.27. Thats well under the customs limit. Including postage to the UK it was $21.26 so thats about 14 quid in total.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Finally got a chance to watch "Greystoke" last night and Mr. Harris (as usual) was right on the money.

One of my favorite films of the '80s, this is an outstanding-looking (and sounding) Blu-ray presentation. The image is immaculate, and textures are beautifully rendered.

The PQ and AQ are really amazing, and I found myself seeing things within the film that I had never noticed before...and I've seen it dozens of times.

Yet another example of how a first-rate Blu presentation can breathe new life into a film that I thought I knew inside and out.

Looking forward to more Blu from Warner Brothers archives!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Simon Lewis said:
I've just ordered Greystoke from ImportCd's for $14.27. Thats well under the customs limit. Including postage to the UK it was $21.26 so thats about 14 quid in total.

I cancelled my order from Importcds because they don't have it in stock and they have an annoying habit of automatically cancelling if a certain number of days go by and they don't get stock. I'll just pay the $5 extra on Amazon and I'll have it in 2 days.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Wow! Another recommendation for this "lost" epic. They don't make em like this anymore, with this luxurious build-up of a world and of the passage of time. Moody, atmospheric adventure with laughs and fun. And the PQ and AQ are excellent.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I didn't get around to seeing this film back in 1984 but do remember this being in theaters. Released 3 years after another (very forgettable ) Tarzan film "Tarzan , The Ape Man" aka "Bo Derek, Bo Derek and More Bo Derek", I heard lots of good things about the Greystoke film. Onto my Amazon Wish List it goes.

Oh and to be clear I do like Bo Derek.

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
With which scanner works Warner for this release(Spirit 4K, Northlight, IMAGICA) and with which resolution(4K or 2K)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks