1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Green Room -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Message #1 of 8 Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    It should be impossible for anyone today to view Green Room without concurrently mourning the loss of Anton Yelchin, a young man who arrived on film in 2000, had over 30 performances to his credit, with several still in post.

The situation is even sadder, as speaking with people in the industry, you'll find not a single unkind word or thought. By all accounts, just a stellar professional, and a consummate good guy.

Green Room, in which he leads, along with Imogen Poots, and Patrick Stewart, in one of his nastiest characterizations, is not for the weak of stomach. It's an uber-violent tale of a rock group getting the wrong playdate, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Jeremy Saulnier, for whom this is his third feature length, directorial effort, worked his way through the industry as a cinematographer, which means that his selection of Sean Porter to point the Alexa must have a great deal to do with the final look and feel of the project. It's a generally dark, claustrophobic works, that just works.

The 2k DI, from which the Blu-ray is sourced yields a perfect presentation, with strong DTS-HD audio.

While those who prefer to frequent musicals and comedies need not apply, for those who appreciate visiting a sometimes darker place, Green Room is 95 minutes well spent.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Nope - it's Saulnier's third feature film. I never saw "Murder Party", but 2013's "Blue Ruin" was terrific...

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Correct, and correct[ed]. Was unaware of Murder, and neglected to connect the dots for Blue. I'd quote the dx from 2001, but it's overused.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, it is. I expect this to be on my top 10 list at the end of the year.

5. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    I don't think one's enjoyment of comedies and musicals precludes enjoyment of "darker" subject matter ... My taste includes both snails and oysters.

6. Colin Jacobson

I didn't realize Saulnier also made "Blue Ruin" until I played the commentary! His name didn't stick, I guess.

And a local boy, to boot - I should be ashamed! :D

7. Colin Jacobson

Yeah, it's really very good. Simple but effective - not a wasted moment in the whole thing!

TravisR likes this.
  8. ijthompson

ijthompson Stunt Coordinator

Jordan
    The quick bit about Prince, surely intended just as a cute shout-out during filming, now functions as a touching tribute as well. :(

Good film.