What's new

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I really have nothing profound to add to all the posts made previously except WOW, what a huge improvement over previous home video releases, in the sound especially. I haven't watched Grease in years because the previous Blu-ray was so lousy. What a pleasure to revisit this fun film.

Real Name
Christopher Russo
Caved and bought this at Target since it was cheap, and found another bit of revisionism- the jukebox in the diner, where the boom mic was reflected, has been CG'd over so the reflection doesn't show. It looks painted in however. The new Pepsi signs still look CG'd also.

I'll have to re-watch the first DVD release and compare the sound to see what's so bad about it, as I've enjoyed that mix for what it is. Aside from that and the newer Paramount logos, it's still truer to the original release than this is.

I was checking the Sing-A-Long edition the other day in my Amazon account and the mic shadow on the jukebox was missing there. It might be missing from the Rockin’ Rydell edition as well. Not sure since I don’t have it. I do have the 2002 DVD and yes aside from the sound and Paramount logos it’s the unaltered film.

Another change on the new release is a Coke cooler in the background not only has the Coke logo removed but the cooler itself has been changed from red to orange. I suppose the new Pepsi poster is an improvement over the blurred poster but IMO they’ve softened the edges of the people so much that they almost look like ghosts when they are in front of the poster.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had this 4K title in my hand at Target this past week, but passed on it. My problem with the film is Olivia Newton-John. I usually don't dislike actors/actresses enough to deter me from any film. However, my dislike for Newton-John goes beyond her being an actress, but her as a singer. I just couldn't stand the sound of her voice. I guess too many doctor and dentist office visits or any office visit for that matter in 1970s and 1980s.;)

I'll still probably buy this disc later in the year when I think it will be cheaper, but I can hold off until then.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I had this 4K title in my hand at Target this past week, but passed on it. My problem with the film is Olivia Newton-John. I usually don't dislike actors/actresses enough to deter me from any film. However, my dislike for Newton-John goes beyond her being an actress, but her as a singer. I just couldn't stand the sound of her voice. I guess too many doctor and dentist office visits or any office visit for that matter in 1970s and 1980s.;)

I'll still probably buy this disc later in the year when I think it will be cheaper, but I can hold off until then.
You already own Grease in 4K anyway, because I happen to know you bought the Iconic Films of the 70s package from iTunes.:)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
That’s a great shot. Remember him as being younger...

:laugh:

I surprised him by giving him a copy of a photo taken at his wedding to Asa Maynor. Roger Smith was the Best Man. Edd laughed out loud when he saw it. The negative obviously was reversed when the print was made.

Edd Byrnes Wedding.PNG

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I am the exact opposite regarding Olivia Newton-John. I fell head over heels for her when Grease came out -- I was in high school. Her eyes just light up whenever she smiles, and I think she has a lovely singing voice. Oddly, though, I never really listened to her music much over the years. I just have a greatest hits CD and the Grease soundtrack in my music collection.

My wife and I were watching the UHD of the film last week, and she made some comment about how Travolta looked in one of the split screen duets with Olivia. I told her I didn't even notice he was on the screen. :laugh:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
And how was sleeping on the couch, Scott?
:laugh:

My wife has a good sense of humor (she has to, being married to me ;)) so she just laughed. She is used to it, anyway. I always refer to Viva Las Vegas as "that Ann-Margaret movie that also had that singer in it. What was his name again?" :P

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You already own Grease in 4K anyway, because I happen to know you bought the Iconic Films of the 70s package from iTunes.:)
Guess what? I didn't buy that package. I must have forgot to do so as I checked today and only bought the 50s and 60s packages. Now I'm debating whether to buy the 4K from iTunes for $9.99 since I'm not a big fan of Grease.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Robert Harris

A few words about...™ Grease -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray
grease_1130_430_90_s_c1-1024x390.jpg

Note: A keen-eyed viewer has noted a digital anomaly, probably caused by auto-cleanup, that never should have made it through (hopefully) multiple layers of QC. There may be more. Collect the whole set!

Score affected.

Grease has always been a terrifically entertaining film, but never in any past release for home video, has it ever attained pictorial, and aural perfection.

For me, the track was always sonically crippled.

For it's 40th Anniversary - not certain why the studios have an anniversary fixation - Paramount has returned to the camera negative, and as far as I'm aware, accessed the 70mm mix for the first time for home theater use.

And the results are beyond startling.

Vocals and music are crisp, clear and proscenium filling.

Colors pop, with blacks being truly black, while a very fine sheen of grain, keeps the image in play. HDR has been delicately applied.

The difference between this new 4k release, and any of the older Blu-rays is so immense, that it leaves everything else in the dust.

Grease, in 4k, will be one of the reference discs of the year.

Image - 4.9

Audio - 5 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
Good Day RAH:

Two items here.

First, now that you’ve reviewed Grease 4K, how bout an AFWA review of another 1978 film just released on HD Blu-ray, Thank God It’s Friday? Would love to read that.

Now the main take. Now that I have The Grease Collection Blu, I plan to finish my Grease Compendium by adding this 4K version. I was hoping to catch Target’s $16.99 sale but looks like I missed out as prices are back up to $25.
Side note: I loved the Grease Live Blu.

This is kinda special as the earlier 2009 Blu release of Grease was my first ever Blu-ray. Unfortunately Grease won’t be my first 4K Blu. That honor went to Ghostbusters 2016. But Grease is part of my early 4K upgrade program.

Eric Richard

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Richard
There is a 2nd glitch just like the first, during the very next close shot. These should absolutely be fixed and a replacement offered for those who want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks