What's new

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you for your review Robert and it help cement my purchase of this film on 4K UHD! I have never gotten around to buying this movie yet but I will be buying it on 4K UHD blu-ray. Again thank you Robert for another great review.

Reactions: PMF

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Turns out they are also finally releasing Grease 2 on Blu Ray! The bummer is (well, aside from that it's Grease 2) that it's only going to be available as part of at "Grease Collection" that includes the first film and the live TV version. In a perfect world, I'd pick up the 4k Grease and the standalone Grease 2. In a more perfect world, I'd pick up 4k versions of Grease and Grease 2.

In this world, however, I'll either pass on both or pick up the Collection now and the 4k of Grease further down the road (not yet a 4k household, so would only get 4k now to future-resistant.

https://www.amazon.com/Grease-Collection-Blu-ray-Olivia-Newton-John/dp/B079P9BZ8B/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B079P9BZ8B&pd_rd_r=N6CKBDPM2580G78CWK82&pd_rd_w=8Dyc7&pd_rd_wg=9wpMn&psc=1&refRID=N6CKBDPM2580G78CWK82

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Has there been confirmation that the new Blu-Ray will have the corrected (I.e. original) audio?

Yes - I confirmed it earlier in the thread. Both 4K and BD use the same soundtrack...

I'm 99.9% sure both come from the same transfer. I compared the 2 and found them to strongly seem to stem from identical sources...

I apologize for doubting. The phrase ‘99.9 sure’ made me think it was an informed opinion, instead of a confirmed fact. Also I tend to think of ‘transfer’ as referring to the picture, not the audio choices. I couldn’t tell if you’d seen or heard the actual Blu-Ray (RAH’s review was specifically of the 4K disc). Apparently you have.

My faulty interpretation.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
'cause its the one that Will wants...Ooo, ooo, ooo.;)

Hahahah!! I turned 11 that summer and the movie was a HUGE deal. Always dear to my heart.

(It also happens to be the first 4K title I have any interest in since joining "the club" about a month ago!)

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Turns out they are also finally releasing Grease 2 on Blu Ray! The bummer is (well, aside from that it's Grease 2) that it's only going to be available as part of at "Grease Collection" that includes the first film and the live TV version. In a perfect world, I'd pick up the 4k Grease and the standalone Grease 2. In a more perfect world, I'd pick up 4k versions of Grease and Grease 2.

In this world, however, I'll either pass on both or pick up the Collection now and the 4k of Grease further down the road (not yet a 4k household, so would only get 4k now to future-resistant.

https://www.amazon.com/Grease-Colle...pMn&psc=1&refRID=N6CKBDPM2580G78CWK82
Grease 2 gets a separate BD release in Europe (Germany for example) so since I can't be bothered with the live version I'll pick that up down the line and won't bother with collection set.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Just wondering if Paramount finally cleared the rights with Coke to show their vintage artwork during the scene where everyone meets at the malt shop. All previous home video releases have obscured the many classic Coca-cola background art using a clumsy traveling matte and/or filter that is so painfully obvious it makes those sequences look silly. Just clear the rights with the sponsor...please! Any word on this...apart from, you know, 'Grease' - which will always be the word!

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Just wondering if Paramount finally cleared the rights with Coke to show their vintage artwork during the scene where everyone meets at the malt shop. All previous home video releases have obscured the many classic Coca-cola background art using a clumsy traveling matte and/or filter that is so painfully obvious it makes those sequences look silly. Just clear the rights with the sponsor...please! Any word on this...apart from, you know, 'Grease' - which will always be the word!

Replaced with digitally rotoscoped inserts of vintage Pepsi sign(s).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was getting a coffee, this morning. In walked a lady wearing a Pepsi jacket. It sparked my recall of these recent posts. And so it was that I walked up to her, as I was certain that she was a representative. I mean, truly, I simply could not resist, for then and there I asked of her, "Why is Pepsi still at war with Coke?" She smiled. And, to break the ice - so to speak - I added, "If you and Coke could only make peace, then maybe such a truce could lead to a greater world peace". She laughed. And so I added, "Should I take that as being a Coke with a smile?". Give it a few weeks, but I think I've planted the thought within her - as she will certainly speak to her supervisor by 5:00 this afternoon - and soon our planet will be "in perfect harmony". And from there, without a doubt, we shall soon see that there will be no more tampering with any of our future transfers.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I know your trying to be humorous but why would anyone wonder why Two competing companies selling the same thing would not be at war, as you put it?

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I know your trying to be humorous but why would anyone wonder why Two competing companies selling the same thing would not be at war, as you put it?
Well, I also wonder why football teams use only one pigskin, instead of two. With two, both sides are apt to fight less. Share whenever possible, I always say.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I apologize for doubting. The phrase ‘99.9 sure’ made me think it was an informed opinion, instead of a confirmed fact. Also I tend to think of ‘transfer’ as referring to the picture, not the audio choices. I couldn’t tell if you’d seen or heard the actual Blu-Ray (RAH’s review was specifically of the 4K disc). Apparently you have.

My faulty interpretation.

That's cool! :)

And you're right: I did say "99.9%" because I'm going by my observations, not a factual statement from Paramount or whatever.

All I know is that I flipped between them and heard zero differences between the audio mixes.

Wouldn't make much sense for Paramount to use the old mix on the new disc since they gave it a new picture transfer anyway, right?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Replaced with digitally rotoscoped inserts of vintage Pepsi sign(s).

Not entirely. There's still one sign that's blurred, and IIRC, there's one Coke promo item that's just blank.

I'm guessing they left the one blurred sign in because a) it's farther in the background than the most prominent one, and b) because it's in the movie for less time. Still seems weird they'd "fix" some signs and not others...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not entirely. There's still one sign that's blurred, and IIRC, there's one Coke promo item that's just blank.

I'm guessing they left the one blurred sign in because a) it's farther in the background than the most prominent one, and b) because it's in the movie for less time. Still seems weird they'd "fix" some signs and not others...
Yeah it’s kind of like fixing some lightsaber effects but not others. :D

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Too bad the German version appears to be Region B. :blink:
Ignore the Amazon specs (most retailers in 99.9% of the cases just put what region they're located in than bother stating the correct region(s)), it's going to be the same disc worldwide. Paramount isn't in the habit of region locking.

Here are the specs according to Bluray-disc.de and the plethora of audio dubs and subtitles includes the Japanese dub and subtitles and thusly Region A compatible.

Last edited:

Dave MJ

Second Unit
That's cool! :)

And you're right: I did say "99.9%" because I'm going by my observations, not a factual statement from Paramount or whatever.

All I know is that I flipped between them and heard zero differences between the audio mixes.

Wouldn't make much sense for Paramount to use the old mix on the new disc since they gave it a new picture transfer anyway, right?

My concern is that is that the audio is billed as "enhanced from a six-track mix created for an original 70mm release" which doesn't quite sound like it's the original sound mix. The sound was badly remixed in 1998 with dozens of mistakes and changes. So the question isn't if this new mix sounds good (clearly it does) but is it unaltered? Are there added background vocals, foley, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks