What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always been a sucker for virtually anything with Robert Altman's name attached, and his 2001 Gosford Park is right at the top of the list, among the very best examples of his work.

I do have a problem with this otherwise magnificent release from Arrow, and best to get it out right off the top.

The film has not been restored.

One might never know that, as it looks perfect, but there has been no restoration.

Sorry, Arrow.

That aside, this is a perfect release.

I've always had the feeling that that British film industry shut down during the film's production, as there simply are no more actors that might have been available for other projects.

So many UK talents are attached to the film, that there's no reason to list them. They're pretty much all there.

Under the tutelage of Julian Fellowes, Gosford Park might be thought of as a run-up or test to his immensely popular series a decade later.

Image is perfect, with beautiful grain structure, color, stability.

Audio, likewise is a magnificent representation of Mr. Altman's audio design, befitting his bespoke form of filmmaking.

For those who have never experienced Gosford Park, I suggest you grab a copy immediately. It's about as perfect as cinema gets.

For those unaware of Mr. Altman's work, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from earlier DVD - Yes, and its about time for this extraordinary film

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I really like this film also. It's like a compressed season of UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS, but with Altman's singular style and sense of humor, and a murder. I kinda wish this and PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION could have been swapped in order of release, so that this could have been his swansong.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]I've always had the feeling that that British film industry shut down during the film's production, as there simply are no more actors that might have been available for other projects.[...]
...not to mention nearly all of the Old Vic, RSC and West End Productions of that period, as well.:cool:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
With typical impatience/bad luck I ditched an old 720 streaming file and forked out for the Canadian Blu disc earlier this year. It is what can only be called “adequate”. I’ve now at further expense got the Arrow which is a big improvement technically but as Mr H suggests the element that’s been used is not prime. Part of the problem is the management of the soft focus technique which as I recall was lightly used by Brit DP Andrew Dunn in release prints. Arrow clearly has to work with the existing master and certainly gves it better grain rez and tightness but the overall quality still lacks pop and crispness. There’s only so much even their tech team can do. Having access to a fine grain interpos would have been nice but the history of the production companies is somewhat murky. I have similar issues with Arrow’s blu of Images. The grain issues in the source are sometimes bewildering, and only the last reel resolves this to present a stable defined image. I had a talk with one of the team after mistakenly thinking Sony had this (they don’t) and it’s clear they have to make do. I fear it will forever be this way now for a lot of Altman’s movies.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received word from the B&N this is in the post and should be delivered whenever ..

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
:lol: Very precise of them.
Technically it's expected on the Third of December in the year of our Lord 2018 but ... um one never knows what to expect ...

Estimated Delivery
Monday
Dec

On its way
  • Nov 30
    2:35 am
    Departure Scan
    Commerce City, CO
  • Nov 29
    8:49 pm
    Origin Scan
    Commerce City, CO
  • Nov 29
    12:51 pm
    Order Processed: Ready
Here's the one for ... Ambersons
Estimated Delivery
Monday
Dec

On its way
  • Nov 30
    12:00 am
    In Transit to Next Facility
  • Nov 29
    12:45 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    LOUISVILLE KY DISTRIBUTION CENTER
I had an order I placed with B&N on Black Friday Saturday hand delivered to me by UPS today ...
images[1].jpg

It's a puzzlement ...

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
"For those unaware of Mr. Altman’s work, you should be ashamed of yourselves."

here here !!!

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
is there a difference between the twilight version - and this mainstream one in quality or extras !?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
is there a difference between the twilight version - and this mainstream one in quality or extras !?
You mean Gosford Park? there was no Twilight version of GP. This is the first blu-ray release ever in the U.S.

There was a prior release in Canada by Alliance, but it had no extras.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
The Canajun BR, which I picked up, is not much of an advance over the DVD. A tad sharper, but still kind of dark and murky in places. So long as this Arrow is all-region, I will probably get it. My favourite scene in this is the very brief one at about the midway mark, where Helen Mirren visits Clive Owen in his room. About a minute and ten seconds of meaningless dialogue and it's over – but it contains almost the entire plot. Beautiful acting.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One of my fave scenes is after Denton's (Ryan Phillipe) true background is revealed and one of the house staff spills tea or something on him, which gets a big guffaw out of Dame Constance (Maggie Smith). :lol:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
One of my fave scenes is after Denton's (Ryan Phillipe) true background is revealed and one of the house staff spills tea or something on him, which gets a big guffaw out of Dame Constance (Maggie Smith). :lol:
Isn't "Spilling the Tea" what Altman's films are about anyway;)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks