What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Goodfellas -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Gossip has it that Goodfellas, a pseudo-serious, very dark, mob comedy, released in 1990 may be way better than sliced bread.

While I don't find it to be, as Roger Ebert phrased it, "The best mob movie ever made," it's right up their at the pinnacle of the mount. I love this film.

It seems to have been released a dozen times on DVD and Blu-ray, but in reality it's probably less than half that in various incarnations and permutations.

Now, silently commemorating it's 26th Anniversary, Warner Bros. has raised the bar from Blu-ray to 4k UHD, along with HDR, and the result is both interesting, as well as telling, as it gives us a very good idea of precisely how good the last BD release was.

And it was very good.

The new 4k image has more stable grain, and better black levels, but the uptick in actual resolution, based upon the way that the film was shot, and the film stock itself, is a nice upgrade, but may not be noticed except on the largest home theater screens.

The true winners of this 4k presentation are those who will see it in theatrical 4k projection.

The overall texture of the image reminds me most of Columbia's Ghostbusters in 4k, which looks akin to projection of a 35mm print.

I had but a single problem with this beautiful 4k. I found the titles to be just a tad "on point," which gave them the look of being a tiny bit sharpened.

A beautiful 4k release of a modern classic.

Image - 4.9 (from a true 4k source)

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k - 4.9

Worth the Upgrade - For those with a large screen, yes.

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Robert,
Given past discussions of HDR on catalog titles, can you please give us your opinion on how it was used here? Thanks.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Goodfellas is a worthy title on the 4K shelf - even though it is expensive and annoying to double-dip for the same title in the same year. There is another "mob movie" - or trilogy - which I wouldn't mind forking out for...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Goodfellas is a worthy title on the 4K shelf - even though it is expensive and annoying to double-dip for the same title in the same year. There is another "mob movie" - or trilogy - which I wouldn't mind forking out for...

I fear that you'll not see it in the near future, as everything seems to be based upon a "need" for HDR.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I remember seeing this in the theater on its original release. Months later, I could still see images of it in my mind (I had only seen it once). "Beautiful violence" as an old professor of mine used to say.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I will buy Goodfellas in it's best possible representation just on principle...

:cheers:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I want this but I just paid $30 last year for the new BD. I think I will wait.

Oddly enough I just started reading "The Lufthansa Heist" by Henry Hill. Good book, but man oh man what a bunch of treacherous, despicable people. There is certainly a comedic element to the narration if for no other reason than it leaves me shaking my head thinking 'people can't actually think/act this way' but of course it is from the guy who lived it so I guess they did.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I fear that you'll not see it in the near future, as everything seems to be based upon a "need" for HDR.
If I'm reading you correctly, you're response in Post #5 to HTF member "titch" is in reference to the "Godfather" trilogy...and that "IT" won't be seen in the near future due to a "need" for HDR. If I read you correctly, then that would be a shame. Why must the markets "need" for HDR dictate and preclude the 4K releases of our classic films?

As for Roger Ebert stating "Goodfellas" as being "The best mob movie ever"? Well, it certainly blew the lid off of things, for sure; but without "The Godfather" there is no foundation or root. To me, its like those who debate that the "The Godfather, Part II" is better than "The Godfather". "The Godfather, Part II" is hands-down THE best sequel ever made; but equal in greatness to the former. With that said, I feel that "Goodfellas" is the true "Godfather Part III"; and all three combined make for an inseparable tie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert, How big a screen is considered a big screen?

Probably 100" plus.

I know one gentleman with a 2k projector and 18 foot wide screen.

Blu-ray, properly prepared and compressed, can be extremely impressive.

We tested My Fair Lady at 25 feet.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Blu-ray-com claims the black levels are elevated...
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/GoodFellas-4K-Blu-ray/161258/#Review
Score 1/5. Mastering problem?

Mr. Reuben and I are in almost total agreement.

Almost.

This disc is not, and should not be considered a replacement for the earlier Blu.

The reality is that it's a different beast entirely. Created to show off 4k and specifically HDR, which the purveyors of 4k would have us believe is a necessary part of the program.

It isn't.

It's an add-on.

I look at the 4k Goodfellas as an interesting experiment.

Failed?

I don't believe so. Those involved made the film look precisely as they desired. Whether anyone else likes that, or not, is irrelevant.

Would I have referred 4k mit out HDR, or with a lighter touch?

Yes, but that's not what this is.

This is HDR in full bloom.

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I don't understand why HDR "with full bloom" would elevate black levels. There could be more shadow detail but elevated blacks that reduce image depth? What has HDR got to do with image haze not on the Blu Ray?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Do we know that this was not intended? I remember Hancock being very dark with not very much shadow detail but according to some insiders at the time it was the way the director / cinematographer intended it.

Personally I prefer slightly elevated black levels to blacks being too deep - I can always pull down the brighter blacks but I cannot recreate detail that is lost due to crushed blacks.

Robert George

Screenwriter
This disc arrived a few days ago but I only found time to sample it this evening. I will echo Mr. Harris' recommendation. This is a stunningly beautiful transfer. Perhaps because there are no blinding digital effects shots or dizzying action set pieces, just real people doing real (bad) things in everyday settings, one can take the time to savor the seamlessness of a near perfectly transferred piece of film.

Finally, this disc passed what I have come to consider my personal penultimate test of a video disc. I completely forgot I was watching TV and became totally immersed in the film. My "sampling" for the new 4K release of Goodfellas stretched all the way to the end credits. This is a bravura piece of filmmaking, and a truly fantastic presentation.

For reference, I am spinning on the Samsung UBD-K8500 feeding a Samsung UN85JU7100 85" 4K recently calibrated for HDR by Gregg Loewen.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Do we know that this was not intended? I remember Hancock being very dark with not very much shadow detail but according to some insiders at the time it was the way the director / cinematographer intended it.

Personally I prefer slightly elevated black levels to blacks being too deep - I can always pull down the brighter blacks but I cannot recreate detail that is lost due to crushed blacks.
I have not seen the disc and don't know if there is a "haze problem". And if there is if it is the intended look. But I have problems believing in intended haze on UHD when it's absent on BD. If anything at all UHD with 10 bits allows more shadow detail while keeping perfect blacks. 8 bits outperforming 10 bits? I don't think so. Before that a calibration or mastering problem is far more likely the cause. The calibration is supposed to be top notch on the system this was reviewed on. A head scratcher...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We got two people saying this release looks beautiful. We got one person on another site that says differently on another site. I doubt I'll buy this UHD release either way, since, I have the 2015 BD release and with my current screen size being 65" and hoping to increase my screen size to 75" in the future. I think I'll stick with the current BD release.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks