What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Goldfinger -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Goldfinger has always been my favorite Bond, as a kid and as an adult. The mania for Bond was so wild when it was released that 007 was just about all any of us could talk about. And that's when UA wisely began reissuing the first two Bonds in double feature pairings with themselves first and then later with Goldfinger and Thunderball.

It would be fun to speculate on how much those early films have made back their costs so many times over.
Same here. It was the first Bond film that I saw without my parents or older siblings. It will always have a special place in my heart. The title song is also very high on my favorite film songs as I love that song sequence at the beginning of the film. They played it constantly back in the day on the radio.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Goldfinger has always been my favorite Bond, as a kid and as an adult. The mania for Bond was so wild when it was released that 007 was just about all any of us could talk about. And that's when UA wisely began reissuing the first two Bonds in double feature pairings with themselves first and then later with Goldfinger and Thunderball.

It would be fun to speculate on how much those early films have made back their costs so many times over.

That's my favorite Bond film, too. I have been going through the films again since buying all the 4K versions on iTunes. I picked up where I had left off with my BDs -- part way through the Roger Moore films -- so I haven't got to Goldfinger yet. I did jump back to the beginning to Dr. No the other night, though, since the next film in my normal order to watch would have been Goldeneye and my wife loves the Pierce Brosnan films, so I couldn't watch that one without her. That means I may get to Goldfinger soon (just have From Russia With Love before that when I'm watching solo).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

It’s amazing that Goldfinger was still a big deal for me in the 80s when I discovered bond as well. I was born in 75 so I didn’t discover Bond until Octopussy in 1983. First Bond I saw.
Even then the films were so big and have held up well through the years for me too. I bought Goldfinger on tape in 1995 when Goldeneye hit but I had seen it a few times on a vhs copy. Of course it was one of my first dvds as well. In fact I owned three different dvd versions of it. The original thx mgm one, se and ue versions. Then on to Blu Ray.

Goldfinger is a film that you put on and enjoy it for what it is. No nitpicking in that one.

I love Thunderball just as much too.

Sorry to have missed many of the 007 films this week in Atlanta but next time I’ll try and see some.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Goldfinger wasn’t the first Bond I saw (that’d be Dr. No, followed by Thunderball), nor was it the first one I saw in theaters (GoldenEye).

But... it was the first one that I saw in a repertory screening!

I still remember it. Cinema Arts Center in Huntington, Long Island. They did a “Thursday Theater of the Wild” where they’d play a classic film on their biggest screen. My mom took my brothers and I, I might have instigated the whole thing. Big deal going to see a movie on a school night. There was a seafood shack nearby that sold fresh catches in the front, and you could sit in the back and they’d steam or fry anything they had. I think I had a steamed lobster, which wasn’t crazy expensive or fancy at the time, my brothers had fried shrimp, and then we saw the movie. I remember the print being great, looking clean and sharp and colorful.

I’d seen the movie before and I’ve seen it again but I’ve never had as much fun watching it as I did that night.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Now that is a sensational memory, and you evoke it really well. I can taste that steamed lobster right now!

That's one of those moviegoing nights I'll never forget - and trust me, I get hungry whenever I remember it too. I think that was all the way back in 1997 or so, and my mom will still ask if I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks