1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Godzilla - King of the Monsters -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 24, 2019.

1. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Sideline: Original Gojira actor, Katsumi Tezuka, turned 107 yesterday! Yes, he, the King of the Monsters, still roams this Earth!

Brent Reid, B-ROLL and dpippel like this.
  2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Is there a TV somewhere in that picture?;)

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Ok Tino :lol:

IMG_2967a.

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Just kidding. What size is that. 55”. It just looks so small with all Your equipment. Ever think of getting a bigger screen size?

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I did think of getting a 65" at the time but really did not have the room and was trying to avoid a long HDMI run to the back of the living room. Maybe when I am ready for a new tv I might go with a larger display. But this Sony A9F OLED has a great picture which makes up for the size. And yes it is a 55" and I know you where kidding. :D

6. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    I appreciate that. My copy arrives Friday. I am beginning to think some studios do and others don’t. I confirmed on my new iPad actually that many I bought HD are in 4K as the AppleTV provides a folder with all my 4K titles. I can screen capture if you’d like - I can only give you my word that I don’t own most of these on 4K disc. Also some 4K titles I’ve bought only gave me an HD version in AppleTV ie Mary Poppins Returns yet Movies Anywhere is providing it in 4K. So maybe I’d depends on the studio and their individual agreements with Apple? Thanks again.

7. Message #107 of 129 Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Noel, it's not a studio thing- it's how and where the movie was obtained as to whether you get a 4K upgrade from Apple.

I have no doubt you have many 4K upgrades in your collection, but that is only because for those titles the right conditions were met. The Reddit chart I posted last week spells out those conditions perfectly.

If you had been able to redeem your Godzilla HD code directly through iTunes - upgrade. But because you have to redeem it through MA - no upgrade. Both however will still be listed in iTunes as "purchased."

Disney does not have any 4K content on iTunes.

Tino likes this.
  8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    This thread has turned into a wacky version of Groundhog Day. :rolling-smiley:

dpippel likes this.
  9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Just purchased Godzilla: King Of The Monsters and had to go to two stores to get it! Best Buy showed one on hand but no one could find the only copy in the store and then I managed to get the last one at the local Target. Looks like this movie is selling well on 4K UHD Blu-ray. Going to try and watch this movie today!

20190907_124105a.

TravisR likes this.
  10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Dave, you should see a dermatologist. I’m sure he could help clear up your skin condition. ;)

B-ROLL and Cranston37 like this.
  11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    ;)

Watched:

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
    4K UHD Blu-ray (Dolby Vision)
    7.1.4 Dolby Atmos to Auro 3D

71mjv2lg4vL._SL1500_.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    And?

13. Message #113 of 129 Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This was my second viewing of the movie but first time watching it at home. First time I watched it was with a focus group at Warner Bros before the movie was released and was not a 100% complete finished movie with effects. But I enjoyed this movie as it is a good solid monster movie with a good story line. The audio track is wild and if you have a good system Godzilla feels like he is in the room with you. Is it a great movie? I wouldn't go that far but it has a good storyline, good special effects, good sound and did I forget Godzilla. Alot of low light scenes but that did not bother me and for a Godzilla movie they work. So fire up the surround, pop in the 4K disc and have some popcorn ready because this IMHO is an enjoyable flick!

20190907_124105a.

Johnny Angell and Ashly Yeo like this.
  14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Seems like the Big G has a little too much Ralph Kramden going in this photo. :D

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This question is for those with Dolby Atmos at home and own this movie in Dolby Atmos!

When watching Godzilla: King Of The Monstars how much audio information are you hearing in your Atmos speakers?

16. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

You CLEARLY don't understand how Apple operates with regard to 4K digital streaming.

I own multiple films that show "4K HDR" (sometimes Dolby Vision too) in the information screen for each film via my Apple TV 4K, yet, they do not actually stream in 4K. These are all Blu-ray films that came with digital copy codes that were redeemed at Vudu instead of directly in iTunes because they were NOT iTunes redeemable. They are Movies Anywhere codes. The information screen shows a 4K version is available but that is NOT what actually streams when I play the film with my Apple TV 4K.

And you are seriously mistaken if you think that you can watch a 4K iTunes stream with your computer, with an iPhone, or with an iPad. The ONLY Apple device that streams 4K HDR is the Apple TV 4K. Period.

It's well past Friday when you were going to get your copy of the 3D Blu-ray. Are you still confused?

Mark

Tino likes this.
  17. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I saw this movie in the theatre and found it fine for what it was — a big goofy kind of stupid giant monster flick. I enjoyed it, but in no way took it seriously.

Prior To watching it in 3D I am working my way through the extras on the set. I had to stop. The director etc. seem to be talking about the making of this movie almost as if it was a deadly serious religious experience and as if these monsters are real. Is this satire? What am I missing?

18. Message #118 of 129 Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    ???? What do you think the selling point of iPhone X released 2 years ago up thru the new iPhone 11 Pro is? They all have OLED screens that records in 4K and streams and shows HDR!. Not wasting anymore time trying to explain what Apple does and doesn’t do to someone who OBVIOUSLY doesn’t know.

Yes Godzilla arrived with only a HD copy but I don’t really care ( though I still get 4K with other studios) as the movie sucked beyond words. A total let down to the previous one. No one cares about implausible family drama in a Godzilla movie. And the 3D was barely noticeable and it’s always rainy or snowing when the monsters show up. Almost as bad as the Mathew Boroderick version.
    My iPhone 11 pro max arrives tomorrow and can’t wait to watch all the streaming 4K content w HDR that you laughably think I can’t
    Noel

19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
  20. Message #120 of 129 Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Noel is correct here, Mark.

You can absolutely stream iTunes 4K HDR content on those devices. You just can't download an iTunes 4K file.

Sam Posten likes this.