What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had heard negative comments about the newest Godzilla incarnation, but came away pleasantly surprised, to find a reasonably cohesive, entertaining film, with nice effects, and terrific audio.

It's a bit convoluted, but pay attention, and it all comes together.

But viewing the film, I came away wondering why it was such an international production, especially in these days of nationalism.

Why the Japanese, and Chinese involvement? Why the need for English actors?

There have been rumors for decades that the Godzilla creature is somehow predicated upon Japanese films, but this couldn't be further from the truth.

We can trace these creatures back to the work of Windsor McCay, and his creation Gertie the Dinosaur, in 1914. In 1933, an other quintessential American film, King Kong set new standards for stop-motion animation.

But this is where things may get interesting, and many of us have been aware of the conspiracy theories for years. Sometime, decades ago, the camera negative of King Kong suspiciously went missing from the RKO vaults. There were whispers that it may have been stolen by a cranky employee, and sold to a collector. But recent reports, mention that it may have been seen in Japan.

Which begs the question, What precisely are the Japanese holding over the heads of the Americans? The answer may exist in the fact that there was a virtually unknown American production, released in April of 1956, entitled Godzilla, King of the Monsters, which starred Raymond Burr, and an all-American cast. That American production, used the latest in stop-motion effects.

Rumor is, that Toho, took this film, re-filmed numerous sequences, adding cheap effects (some say, a man in a rubber suit) and a myriad of Japanese actors, and took credit for its creation, much as they did for Key of Keys.

They then followed this up, with a plethora of other monster films, all with Japanese casts, many actually filmed in Canada. This went on for years.

But who holds the original negative to King Kong, and how does it affect the false information that these creatures were Japanese creations?

Proper research will bring the truth.

Obviously linking to missing negative, and the Japanese connection, Warner Bros., (remember, they own King Kong), has given work to two fine foreign actors whose work I admire - Ken Watanabe and Ziyi Zhang - but these roles could have been played by Americans, except that they perpetuate the foreign connection.

Then there's the ingenue, the young teen who saves the day - played by Millie Brown, some TV actress.

One could easily have cast Julia Butters, who with a bit of makeup, could easily play a young teen. She could probably play Churchill if she desired.

Ah, and more British actors taking the food from Americans - Sally Hawkins and Charles Dance. I admire their work greatly, especially Mr. Dance, but was Ian McShane, one of the great American actors not available? He was wonderful in John Wick 3, and what would Deadwood have been without him?

But I'm getting off topic, and the reason for this thread to is to make note of the fact that the newest Godzilla incarnation is a very decent film, and worthy of a spin.

It's a wonderful addition to one's growing 4k library.

Now, if someone can find that original King Kong negative, and get it back to it's rightful owner...

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked the film more than others after seeing it twice in the movie theater. I'll be picking up the 4K/UHD disc during the Black Friday sales.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I can see it on the Internet, a few years from now: “I heard someone say that Robert Harris said the negative for King Kong isn’t lost, it’s in Japan.”

More truth has been said in jest.

I DO believe the negative survives. The question is where, and/or, with whom. I traced records years ago, which showed the production of protection positives, foreign shipments, and foreign distribution. One title I recall as Kingo Kongo.

It’s out there, somewhere.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The only thing preventing this thread from being complete is a certain someone dropping by to unleash a boatload of horrible puns.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one is seeking stranger things, it seems that the original negative for Becket is with a licensee in Spain, and last I heard was not being retuned because of a dispute. Apparently shipped in error. After all one negative is the same as any other.

One could create an interesting list of original elements that have gone missing.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
RAH being facetious.
I have consulted with a notable German spy and all I can saw is ...
upload_2019-8-24_15-38-13.jpeg
;) ..

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My friend saw this in the theater and begged me to do the same, he said it is the "must see" movie of the summer (he is a big Godzilla fan). He loved it. I feel bad I ignored his advice, but plan on watching this at home.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
More truth has been said in jest.

I DO believe the negative survives. The question is where, and/or, with whom. I traced records years ago, which showed the production of protection positives, foreign shipments, and foreign distribution. One title I recall as Kingo Kongo.

It’s out there, somewhere.
And would that negative contain the spider-pit sequence?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
If one is seeking stranger things, it seems that the original negative for Becket is with a licensee in Spain, and last I heard was not being retuned because of a dispute. Apparently shipped in error. After all one negative is the same as any other.

One could create an interesting list of original elements that have gone missing.
Was the original film negative to The Best Years of Our Lives lost during shipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks