1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Glorifying the American Girl - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Filmed at Paramount's Astoria studio in 1929, and directed by Millard Webb, Glorifying the American Girl tries to mimic a Ziegfeld Production, by gathering talent for some early Talkie musical numbers and comedy bits, and generally succeeds.

Paramount was able to add a couple of two-color Technicolor sequences to boot.

This all comes together nicely courtesy of The UCLA Archive's preservation work, although I would have preferred to see a bit of the left side of the screen cropped before finalizing a video master, as Mr. Soundtrack (you remember his) occasionally makes his presence known.

The quality is extremely pleasing, especially considered that the source element for the major black & white portion of the film, no longer survives.

The two-color appears nicely captured to Eastman Color dupe, and allows an excellent idea of what the original would have looked like.

A problem free Blu-ray from Kino.

Hats off to UCLA for their continuing work toward saving our motion picture heritage.

Only oddity here, is that I'm unable to come up with the rationale behind two of the added extras - the three-strip Technicolor short La Cucharacha, which looks very nice, and reasonably accurate to the original.

The other is a tour of early Hollywood, which is nice, but how does it relate to a film made in Queens, NY?

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

B-ROLL and ahollis like this.
  2. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I was happy and support Glorifying the American Girl, I was not that pleased with La Cucharacha. For a three strip Technicolor short, the colors just didn’t seem to pop. (IMO)

3. Marc Hampton

Marc Hampton Extra

Marc
    I think I said "wow" out loud when the opening credits came on the screen. Im very surprised how good this looks. I tried to watch this movie years ago and the quality was so bad I couldn't even tell what was going on or what was being said.

2 movies I least expected to ever see on Blu-ray were this and "The Story of Temple Drake". But there they are...and in the same month!

Danny Burk likes this.
  4. John Skoda

John Skoda Stunt Coordinator

A couple of us on another thread have discs for this title where all the sound for the feature comes out of the left channel only.

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Correct. On one additional niggling point, several feet of leader could have been removed at the head of the Tech sequence. Don’t recall if it affected both.

ahollis likes this.
  6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor
    Supporter

Patrick McCart
    Forgot this was coming and ordered along with the Hitchcock 5-film set. I love these deep cuts Kino is unearthing.

While La Cucaracha is a weird inclusion, my guess is that they were unable to include it on the Becky Sharp release, which would have been far more appropriate. But they at least have the common thread of being UCLA preservation projects.

7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Apparently there is a replacement program and a link, but I can’t call it up in Canada. I have tried on two iPads, 2 iPhones and a Windows 10 computer.

If anyone has had better luck, I would appreciate knowing how you did it.