What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gloria Bell -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Based upon the 2013 Chilean film, Gloria, Sebastian Lelio 2018 re-make, is absolutely worth your investment of time.

Yes, they make more than nice Carmeniere in Chile.

Julianne Moore brings her character to life, holding secrets and desires of which only she and the audience, are aware.

She's is a late-'50s empty nester, divorced, with children who have grown away from her, and she's seeking to find someone with whom she can move on with her life.

While we can fall in love with Gloria, we also go through romantic and familial trauma with her, and her problems become ours.

Just an extraordinary performance, of great depth, which needs to be experienced.

John Turturro is on hand, as her suitor.

The film was shot by Natasha Braier (Neon Demon), on an Arri Alexa, the basis of a superb Blu-ray experience.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS HD-MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I enjoyed this film during it's theatrical run. One thing about Ms. Moore as an actress is she's fearless.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Gloria was here for a hot second and then left the theater before I could get there. I'm intrigued by the movie...certainly going to check it out on disc.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Moore is indeed fearless (see Short Cuts). But credit where credit is due: Lelio's original 2013 version is superior, with many more layers to the character and her surroundings. Furthermore, Paulina Garcia, as Gloria, is even more fearless than Moore since she is not as "Hollywood manicured" as Moore is. I enjoyed both films, but will give the nod to the superior original Chilean version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks