What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gladiator -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I think they're going to need a better way of setting this up than a phone-up (think on-line registration).

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
They did the same thing with the Saving Private Ryan BD and I think Paramount handled that issue well, as far as the customer service help and the speed at which they got the replacement packaging out and back again.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Originally Posted by JoshB

They did the same thing with the Saving Private Ryan BD and I think Paramount handled that issue well, as far as the customer service help and the speed at which they got the replacement packaging out and back again.

Not to change the subject but what was wrong with the Private Ryan BD? And is the corrected version widely available now? I have an Amazon.com credit and was thinking of picking it up.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
And once again the question arises: Will they exchange the disc for non-US/CAN customers?

Did anybody from outside the US get their Saving Private Ryan disc exchanged through Paramount directly? (I was able to go through my retailer for SPR but since I ordered Gladiator someplace else and that place doesn't exist anymore it's not an option this time around.)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Scott D S 30#post_3712041

Not to change the subject but what was wrong with the Private Ryan BD? And is the corrected version widely available now? I have an Amazon.com credit and was thinking of picking it up.

Saving Private Ryan had audio sync issues. It's fixed now. Amazon only sells the fixed versions and in-store, the fixed batch has a yellow UPC.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Like Sean, I want to know if this will be released in the U.S. I also did not buy the first version because of all the mastering problems.

Or do I need to buy it from a Dutch source? I'm happy to wait for a U.S. release but I'd really like to know if one is one the way.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by PaulaJ

Like Sean, I want to know if this will be released in the U.S. I also did not buy the first version because of all the mastering problems.

Or do I need to buy it from a Dutch source? I'm happy to wait for a U.S. release but I'd really like to know if one is one the way.

Yes it will - see post #40 above.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I've got to thank Paramount for releasing this new transfer in North America and offering an exchange for those who bought the old version. They really didn't have to go to all this trouble but its cool that they are.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
As reported on several websites Paramount is offering to exchange the BluRay "Gladiator" for a new version that was mastered from a 4K print. Those that have seen the new BluRay reported it is gorgeous and corrects the previous problems. There were no details provided on how the exchange works. I called Paramount at (888) 889-9456 to find-out what we need to do to exchange the old BluRay for the new one? Their automated message states "if you are calling to exchange Gladiator please leave your name and phone number so they can call you to arrange the exchange". If you are interested in exchanging Gladiator call the number and get on the list.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Great to see Paramount stepping up on this issue (after fixing SPR as well).

I may pick up this BD yet since Paramount is doing right by their customers -- I enjoy the flick, but am not a fan and would not bother to own a subpar version of it.

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Fontenot

At least they are aware of the issue.

AFAIK, this was not a Paramount master.

Regardless, they are doing the right thing.

Finger pointing, assessing blame, etc. do not move things forward in any way.

I suggest that everyone be thankful that discs are being replaced.

Nothing else matters.

RAH

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Quote:

Finger pointing, assessing blame, etc. do not move things forward in any way.

I suggest that everyone be thankful that discs are being replaced.

Nothing else matters.

RAH

True enough.

And I did go back and correct my earlier misspelling - even though you already quoted me before I had the chance to fix it.

I kept looking at it thinking "something isn't right"...

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Another thanks to Paramount for really making the effort to address their customers concerns. I look forward to purchasing the corrected release.

Universal and Fox should take note.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl

Quote:

Unlike Universal by the way, who released the disc overseas and are not doing a replacement program, at least not in Germany (Source: Area-dvd.de). If you want a fixed copy, you'll have to buy the new edition.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Quote:

Exactly - Universal messed it up and Paramount fixes it - very commendable on behalf of Paramount.

Praise for Paramount is certainly in order if this indeed comes out right which I am very sure of.

So right now we have two studios (Sony and Paramount) who are doing things right for customers while other studios are apparently not interested in doing this at least with their biggest misses (Fox with Patton, Universal with Spartacus).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It is Universal - I would have expected this exact behaviour.

Originally Posted by Christian Preischl

Unlike Universal by the way, who released the disc overseas and are not doing a replacement program, at least not in Germany (Source: Area-dvd.de). If you want a fixed copy, you'll have to buy the new edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks